Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Harley owner and have researched different approaches to winter storage (live in Chicago). Some are saying just park it and throw a trickle-charger on it, some are enabling Storage Mode and using a trickle charger.

What are the benefits or downfalls to these options? If in Storage-Mode, is a trickle charger not needed? I wish there was one answer...

#HarleyNewbie

·
Registered
43,190 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Tony. Welcome to the forum. Born and raised on the south side of Chicago. South suburbs now and Michigan. Where are you at? Oh, they don't like Chicago too much here...lol

·
Retired citizen
24,745 Posts
Hi Tony. Welcome to the forum. Born and raised on the south side of Chicago. South suburbs now and Michigan. Where are you at? Oh, they don't like Chicago too much here...lol
That's because now you are LIONS and Chicago is BEARS !

• Haha
Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey man, I'm on the north side of Chicago. So how do you store your bike in the winter?

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,968 Posts
Hey man, I'm on the north side of Chicago. So how do you store your bike in the winter?
One of the reasons I stayed in the South instead of going back to Ohio after the Army was because of winter. Screw that having to store your bike for the winter. I hate the cold, so don't get me wrong, but I can ride most of the year if I really want to. Gets harder every year since I'm staring at 60 pretty soon, and these bones don't take to the cold like they used to. BTW, anything below 70 is cold lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
I wash my bike and the wife's bike before I cover them. Change the fluids and hook them up to the Battery Tender. I also cover them with a breathable cover. Keeps the dust off and does not trap moisture. I bought a couple of mats for the garage floor to keep them off of the damp concrete. Top off the gas tank and tires too. I used to put them up after working the Toys for Tots run the first Sunday in December, but gave up working that after 20 years. Usually after the Veterans Home Ride to Manteno that is about it. Early November.

·
Super Moderator
5,187 Posts
ardboard under the tires. also if you are hauling road salt into your garage with a car, keep that crap away from the bike! i keep an extra cover on the bike in the garage and do monthly critter checks.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Here in UK we dont normally get extreme temperatures so can really ride all year long what we do get is a lot and and I mean a lot of rain the whole year .
Anyhow even in summer I have the battery tender on the bike it maybe a week a month or longer before the weather is good enough to get a ride out .
This past weekend I got out in 27f was wrapped up warm up until then its been a couple of months since I got a ride out all due to the British weather .
Since April when I had the 5,000 mile service I have only put another 550 miles on it , its been a bad riding season this year

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think storage mode only disables the security system from what I read in the manual. I’d say leave the security system activated and just trickle charge it. Especially in Chicago lol. I may be wrong tho.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,968 Posts
Here in UK we dont normally get extreme temperatures so can really ride all year long what we do get is a lot and and I mean a lot of rain the whole year .
Anyhow even in summer I have the battery tender on the bike it maybe a week a month or longer before the weather is good enough to get a ride out .
This past weekend I got out in 27f was wrapped up warm up until then its been a couple of months since I got a ride out all due to the British weather .
Since April when I had the 5,000 mile service I have only put another 550 miles on it , its been a bad riding season this year
I visited London for 5 days, back in '78, on the way to NY after living in Belgium for 5 years. It rained every day but not for long each day. That's about all I remember about my visit lol.

• Haha
Reactions: English Triker

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I visited London for 5 days, back in '78, on the way to NY after living in Belgium for 5 years. It rained every day but not for long each day. That's about all I remember about my visit lol.
You haven't missed much RJ it still rains ahhahahahahah

·
Registered
30 Posts
Along with running a battery tender i would suggest using Startron stabilizer if you have ethanol gas in the tank. Put the proper amount of startron in, run the bike down the road to get it evenly distributed, then with tender i would figure you're all set. Don't take a chance on ethanol gas sitting in there for any length of time without Startron in it.

·
Registered
2019 Heritage Classic 114
8 Posts
I'm a new Harley owner and have researched different approaches to winter storage (live in Chicago). Some are saying just park it and throw a trickle-charger on it, some are enabling Storage Mode and using a trickle charger.

What are the benefits or downfalls to these options? If in Storage-Mode, is a trickle charger not needed? I wish there was one answer...

#HarleyNewbie
Hopefully you have inside storage. Change motor, trans, and primary oils. Add fuel stabilizer to the tank and top it off. Go ride to get the new oils and fuel stabilizer through the systems. Jack the bike up to get the wheels off the ground and secure it so it doesn't take a fall. Remove the breather, start the bike and spray a good engine fogger in the intake until it stalls, we used to pull the plugs and put a squirt oil in the cylinders, and that still works. Put breather back on and it's best to pull the battery and trickle charge it somewhere warm but not all that necessary. Cover the bike with a breathable cover. Just my routine, others are different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts