Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use your CB? I wonder what others do with their CB? Guys I know that have them on their bikes them never use them, but have them for just in case. I ask cause' long ago I replaced the original cassette deck with an 06 CD player. While I was at it, I put the radio antenna under the fairing and dumped the CB. I replaced the tank consol with a regular consol, cut the antenna wire and disabled the PTT.
I stopped using a CB back in the 80's. Do truckers still use CB's out on the highways? I know the logging trucks still use them but that’s only on the logging roads so they don’t have a head on crash. What do you do with the CB on your bike, check for smokies up ahead? Do you breaker - breaker your buddies 20 up ahead to see if they're ready for a toilet break at the pickle park?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Truckers and off road 4x4 Jeepers use them a lot.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Next weekend if the weather holds I'll switch on my CB and see if anyone is using it but I won't have the mic connected. I'll let you know if there's any chatter out there.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
Unless you are with a group of your people you won't find much activity. Most are off on different channels chatting.

The majority of trucks are speed limited so you won't hear much about whats ahead. Now and the you might hear some one on 19 let you know whether scales are open or not.

The most activity I've heard in years was driving down through Louisville in the snowstorm and back up through Nashville in the ice storm.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Some of my friends have CBs and we use them a lot when riding together.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I use it on trips when riding with others that have one. Its nice when you gotta make a change in route or someone in the back wants to let the leader know they need a stop or something. Haven't used it much to listen or talk to anyone other than those riding in my group.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I use mine when I go on a trip, or am ridong with a few friends that have CB on theirs. O ride with a few Goldwingers, Mom and Dads friends, and we use them to talk.. since they cant keep up with the Harley, they let me know when I get too far away from them...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would not ride without one - we travel in groups of 4-5 bikes all have cb it is nice to chat just like sitting in a restaurant - but most important is for safety - 2 years ago on the beartooth ride going about 50mph I noticed a dear in the trees running up the mountain right at us - I warned everyone on cb "dear" we all got down to about 20mph when the dear jumped right in front of larry that was behind me - he smacked the dear fish tailed but kept the bike upright - damage to bat wing turn signals but was not hurt - the dear walked away - we finished our trip no prob. last year we were ridding down a long straight mountain pass 2 lane road going 70mph I noticed a car a mile ahead comming from a dirt road it stopped at our road - is unusual to wait so long without a turn - I got on cb told everyone there is something wrong with that blue car up ahead we slowed to 30mph to pass - just as we got next to the car it pulled out my buddy fishtailed but just missed the car load of teenagers on cell phones - cb saved us again

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I don't have one on my bike, but I have a base unit in the garage. Several guys that I worked with have em. its fun to have it on when I am working on a project and drinkin beer. Its a great way to maintain friendships with guys I rarely see.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't use mine much when alone....every once in a while someone will reach out. Travel a lot with a bud who has one on his GW. Nice to have between bikes when traveling.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,451 Posts
Don't use mine much locally, but on the road with the guys I travel cross country with, we have used the cb a lot. When a pit stop is needed, it's helpful to get a heads up, especially if you're in the lead.

·
Registered
569 Posts
In the 70's when CBs were so popular I always had one whether in my car,truck, or bike. But after a while I got so tired of hearing all the nonsense BS people were broadcasting on the CB channels that I gave up on them and haven't used one in a lot of years now.

I think if I rode a lot with other people who had them I would probably use one again just so I could talk with them. But I usually ride alone and the few times a month that I ride with others they don't seem to have them either. It's never really been a problem. Somebody's gotta take a leak, we don't really need to talk about it. They just pull over then the rest of us see that and pull over with him.

·
Banned
71 Posts
In the 70's when CBs were so popular I always had one whether in my car,truck, or bike. But after a while I got so tired of hearing all the nonsense BS people were broadcasting on the CB channels that I gave up on them and haven't used one in a lot of years now.

I think if I rode a lot with other people who had them I would probably use one again just so I could talk with them. But I usually ride alone and the few times a month that I ride with others they don't seem to have them either. It's never really been a problem. Somebody's gotta take a leak, we don't really need to talk about it. They just pull over then the rest of us see that and pull over with him.
That works fine unless you're tailend charley . :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
My friends had CB's so when I bought my Ultra, I had one added. Use it all the time riding with them. I keep the squelch set so I can only here who's close (our group) but not much past that to keep from interrupting my tunes! It has kept us out of an accident once already too. Beats hand signals in my book.

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
I also ride using a CB - we travel in groups of 4-5 bikes and all have cb radios. We use it for talking, safety issues, lane changes and changes in routes. I find it an easy and affordable (included on most touring models) tool to communicate with my other riders.

·
Just Ride
3,252 Posts
My ultra had one. Used it for road updates/problems. Still have the hand held microphone.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
I use mine in group rides. Road Captain to Sweep so we can keep up with everyone on the trip.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts