Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love my Rocker C. Since I rarely carry a passenger I really like the idea of a solo seat. The trick seat that HD put on this bike is cool and all, but it doesn't look great when it's put away. I've been leaning toward a Danny Grey seat and I really like how they look after the conversion.

I am not quite 5'8" tall and have long legs. When I come to a stop, I have to be on my tip toes and would rather have my feet flat on the ground at stops. From what I've read removing the original seat contraption and replacing it with an aftermarket, like Danny Grey, the seat height will be lowered by 3-4 inches. I think that will allow me to be flat footed at stops.

The other issue is that when I'm going 80 mph I feel like I'm going to be blown off the bike so I have to hold on very tightly to the handle bars which eventually makes my hands numb. I think a lower seat might "plant" me more firmly in the saddle.

Since these bikes are chopped a little I am wondering if doing this conversion will change the engineering. I like how the bike rides and I feel very connected to it when I ride. I don't want to lose that. A man at my local dealership advised me against it.

I'm hoping others have done this seat conversion and can tell me if the bike rides any different, for better or worse.

When I lean just a little I can have my foot flat on the ground.

I don't like the big gap between the seat and the rear fender.

Here is an example of an after market seat. I like the look of it contouring to the rear fender and frame and I think I'd be more firmly planted.

Thanks in advance for your input and expertise.

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
Sarah, IMO you will find that changing out your seat will lower your position and give you the desired effect of being able to plant your feet. The draw back is that you will be moved back away from your bars and foot controls ,so there will be some adjustments needed.
On your other query on feeling like yor being lifted off you bike at higher speeds try a detachable windshield. I know it will change the look of the bike ,but if you use it on longer rides you will feel the difference.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
My friend changed his stock rocker seat to a solo seat. I don't know the brand. It looks a hell of a lot better and he loves it.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Nice bike. Great pic!

IMO, if you ride in those sneakers, the first thing I would do is get some riding boots with a bit of a heel. That might be all you need to flatfoot the bike -- And more importantly, your feet and ankles will have much more protection. I agree with ORD about the windshield for extended high speed cruising. At 80 mph, no seat position can reduce the wind push.

--

·
Banned
71 Posts
The custom seat that you liked, a windshield, and a pair of good riding boots. You'll be good to go . :thumbsup :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Rocker seat change

Sarah
I have a Rocker and I am also 5'8" tall. While mine is a plain Rocker FXCW it did come with the goofy pull out seat thingy. Not only did it look bad with a big gap between the fender and seat but it also made me feel like I was reaching for the ground when stopped. Not to mention I found it to be very uncomfortable to ride. After a lot of looking I went with the Danny Gray Week Day Solo seat. It lowered my riding position by 3"-4" and is worlds more comfortable to ride.I can now put my feet flat on the ground and the seat looks tons better than stock. As far as being harder to reach the forward controls etc. there was no adjustment needed in fact it felt better. This seat changed the looks and comfort level of my scoot dramatically. I do agree with Silverback about the boots which will also help a bit. I think some of the 'windpush' might be due to the rather awful handle bars on our scooters. A detachable wind shield will help a bunch with this as well. Yes , they look kinda bad on this type bike but do help a lot at higher speeds. If you decide to get one go to J.P. web site and watch the video on selecting the correct height. I am attaching a picture of my Rocker with the Danny Gray seat [I did add a Pillion Pad as well, mainly for looks.].
Colt.45

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
The seat will seat you in the bike. The feeling I believe most prefer. Not on the bike.
Should also get you that much closer to the ground.

As stated. Potential drawbacks. Your leg and arm reach to the pegs and the bars. All are fixable. Just be aware adjustments may need to be made.

And "Yes" to losing the sneakers when riding.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

Colt .45, thank you for your opinion. It's great to hear from someone in the same boat.

I bought a Danny Gray seat last night and am anxious to get it on there. I do have HD riding boots but must admit sometimes I'm lazy and wear the sneakers since I walk a lot at work. For safety reasons I guess it would be smarter to just leave a pair of sneakers at work and change when I get there.

I am not a fan of windshields on this type of bike so I'll just cope with it. The only time I go 80 is if I'm late for work. My favorite speed on this bike is 70. It purrs right along and I feel quite comfortable. I agree that a lower seat position will set me "in" the bike as opposed to "on" the bike and I think that will make a big difference in how secure I feel at higher speeds. Thanks again!!

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Hope you like the seat. The only dynamics that will be changed is your comfort and confidence when coming to a stop now that you can reach the ground. The way your bike rides and over all dynamics stability/turning etc will still be the same.
Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
165 Posts

I don't like the big gap between the seat and the rear fender.

Here is an example of an after market seat. I like the look of it contouring to the rear fender and frame and I think I'd be more firmly planted.

Thanks in advance for your input and expertise.
If I'm not mistaken that seat is part of an aftermarket fender kit, like a Heartland (you can see the new fender and struts), and will require some major work, and $$...

Here's a link to their Rocker Conversion kit...
http://heartlandbiker.com/wide-tire-conversion-kits/e-z-r-conversion-systems/e-z-r-conversion-system-fits-08up-rocker-heartbreaker-fender-11x24-chrome-struts-4

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
jam 436
I think you are right on the Red scooter. The Danny Gray seat naturally does not fit as close to the fender as it must allow the fender to "rock" under it but still fits a lot tighter and lowers the ride lots more than stock.I suspect Sarah is going to love her new seat.
Colt.45

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
I always kept a pair of sneakers/safety boots at work.

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
jam 436
I think you are right on the Red scooter. The Danny Gray seat naturally does not fit as close to the fender as it must allow the fender to "rock" under it but still fits a lot tighter and lowers the ride lots more than stock.I suspect Sarah is going to love her new seat.
Colt.45
Think your right.
Lower seat\setting in, not on the bike will give her a much better feel for it.
Will probably move her back just a little too. A slight adjustment to the bars may be needed depending on her reach and her riding posture.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yay! The Danny Gray seat came today, so tomorrow I will put it on and see if it's better. I had to buy a Torx T-45 socket and a handle to get the bolts off. Fingers crossed!

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
Yay! The Danny Gray seat came today, so tomorrow I will put it on and see if it's better. I had to buy a Torx T-45 socket and a handle to get the bolts off. Fingers crossed!
Don't forget to post some photos and follow up on your first impressions.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Sarah
Yeah I had to buy the right Torx bit as well. I saw a video where the guy said he had to 'chisel' the screws out but with the right bit mine came out although I did have an impact driver handy in case it was needed.
I bet you really like the seat....and yes we need a picture of it on the scooter.
Colt.45

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
My last bike was a custom and sat back like yours. The half helmets buffeted real bad and seemed to give me a lift effect. I switched to a full coverage and was much more comfortable.

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
The torx heads can be a real PITA.
Did not have trouble with the seat bolts on T~S. But we all know there is always at least one that will give you trouble.
Mine was one on the rear fender struts. There is a thread on here somewhere regarding some good suggestions about removing the stubborn ones.

·
ZVO
1,416 Posts
won't your kidneys, and back hurt like hell with a seat with no protection? Bumps are gonna be brutal right? Then again I ride inBrooklyn...pothole Mecca! PA has better roads.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts