Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is someone using "Ultra-cool" oil cooler ?

It is a cooler radiator with FAN and Thermostat .
Interested in model Aero ST for Softail .

Any experiance/feedbacks ?

Thanks,Ilan

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ultracool oil cooler is $300 now - good bargain ?

Thanks,Ilan
$300 for 14 rows with fan . good deal ??
Any good experiance with "Ultracool" ?

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is no one using Ultra cool ????????

Thanks,Ilan
Is no one using Ultra cool oil cooler ????????????

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is any one using Ultracool Aero ST for Softail ?

It is an oil cooler for softail with fan and thermo switch .
Any experiance or comments ?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Never used the Ultra cool myself. I have installed the regular oil coolers with no problems and good results on my last three bikes.

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,
I have a Fatboy 2011 96' and wonder if installing the stock HD 6 rows cooler or the ultracool with 14 rows and fan .

Is your regulatr oil cooler from HD ? does it have a fan ? did it make any change ?

Thanks,Ilan

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I have the regular oil cooler from HD - no fan. For my riding style it does make a difference in helping to keep the oil temps cooler. My experience shows that a cooler alone was OK - but best results are when used along with a good tune and synthetic oils.

·
Registered
36,956 Posts
I have the 6 row cooler from HD with the thermostat, and it dropped temps by ~30°F (17°C).
Highest I saw oil temps before the oil cooler install was 250°F.
Now it rarely goes above 220°F.

From what others have said on this forum, that is typical.
You'll find a 20°F - 30°F (10°C - 20°C) drop in temperature by using the HD/Jagg oil cooler.

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Kainman,
25F is typical drop .
Fan will probably work better in heavy trafic or slow ride .

·
Registered
36,956 Posts
I've thought about that Ilan, but then you also have to consider the issue of keeping moisture out of the electric fan, thus ruining it.

Do you know what kind of oil temperatures you are running now? And are you using regular oil or synthetic?

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am running semi Synthetic oil . temps are normaly 220F and may go up to 250F
What do you mean by keeping Moisture out of the electric fan ? why should be ther any moisture ? it is all hot around .

Tx,Ilan

·
Retired citizen
22,083 Posts
Be careful with interference fit with the front fender. I just had a guy this week that had one that company said would work on a '91 Ultra ... no friggin way ! Mounts down under the regulator mounting bolts and sits forward of the regulator 3 inches ! Think about that.
I showed the guy that wants it installed and said I'd put it on but I ain't responsible for damages ! He nixed it ... goody goody !

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This Ultracool fan cooler is mounted above the regulator between the frame bars .
I do not see anyone says he has it .

·
Maddog
394 Posts
Jagg is supposed to be one of the best oil coolers. Keep in mind, you're using the oil
to cool the engine. Usually not a big deal with stock motors, but when you start doing
things like putting more cubic inches in and running them harder, it becomes something
to think about.

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
250F with HD oil cooler

I've thought about that Ilan, but then you also have to consider the issue of keeping moisture out of the electric fan, thus ruining it.

Do you know what kind of oil temperatures you are running now? And are you using regular oil or synthetic?
I installed the HD 6 rows oil cooler . most of the rides in open road it will be 200-210 . but when riding in hot weather about 95F 35C , at slow drive or on hill with curves , it came to 250F . but this is rare .

Is it normal ? is anyway to add any item to direct more air flow ?

Tx,Ilan

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
250F even with HD 6 row oilcooler

Installed recently HD 6 rows oil cooler on my 2011 Fatboy .
Seems it works on open roads and temp is about 200-210F

But riding in hot day 90-95F at lower speed on hill with curves will bring the oil temp to 250F . this is rare . is it normal ? I am using semi synthetic oil .

Is any item in the market to direct more air flow to the engine/cooler ?

Tx,Ilan

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
will it be better to install out of the frame instead of between the frames ? Jagg is doing so . will it change ?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Very little if at all. To provide much cooling, there needs to be air flow. No matter where the radiator is located. Not sure why you're worried, 250 isn't that high, but if it really bothers you, add a fan to circulate air when not moving enough to get good air flow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts