1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Heritage Softail Classic and I'm looking for a seat that is:

1. Slightly taller than stock
2. Has a rider backrest
3. Has a wider passenger seat than stock.

On an average Saturday or Sunday we ride between 150 and 225 miles, and by the time we get halfway home we're squirming around in our seat and having to make frequent stops to stretch our legs. By the time we get home we just want to lay out on the couch and groan about how tight everything is. I'm 6'2" and and try to keep my feet up on the highway pegs as much as possible for the extra legroom. If I can't find a taller seat, I'd settle for another that meets the other criteria if I can use a pad that doesn't move to get a little elevation. The funny thing is when checking out the baggers at the showroom I thought they would have more legroom since they look larger, but I felt like I had less on them than on my Softail.

:thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a Dyna not a Softal, but I got a Tall Boy seat from HD that has everything mentioned with the exception of the backrest. Previously I was in pain in about an hour. Now I can ride all day with no issues. There may be something similar for a Softail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It can be pricey but you might consider talking to you local dealer and ask for a reference to a custom seat maker.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I don't mind spending up to $600, I just don't want to have to do it twice. I'll check out the dealership.

·
12roadking
118 Posts
I put a danny gray 2 up seat on my 05 standard,and love it sounds like what you want?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've talked to the dealerships, and they don't carry demo seats for an '04. Also the fact that once I mount the seat and ride it, it can't be returned makes this even tougher.

I'm preparing to take 4.5 hour ride in April, and a 9 hour ride in June (not including stops), so I've got to make some progress and find a seat soon.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Do you think that the Corbin seats are better than Mustang? Those are the two brands I'm considering. I'd like to get the Corbin with the rider backrest, but I'm wary of backrests because I heard from another rider as well as the parts salesman at the dealership that tall riders usually aren't happy with a seat with rider backrest because it tends to push you forward. I'm not sure if this applies to the Corbin and Mustang seats since the HD dealerships don't sell them. I may just need to call both companies and ask.

Mustang: Mustang One-Piece Wide Studded Touring Seat | 800-283 | J&P Cycles

Corbin: Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | HD Softail | 800-538-7035

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Dyna not a Softal, but I got a Tall Boy seat from HD that has everything mentioned with the exception of the backrest. Previously I was in pain in about an hour. Now I can ride all day with no issues. There may be something similar for a Softail.
Tall boy seats can only be bought new for 2005+.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts