Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 2014 Ultra Classic about 6 weeks now and I'm still struggling with the air in the rear shocks. When I took delivery I asked the dealership what the shocks were inflated to and they said 50 lbs. In a week or so the suspension seemed soft with my wife on back so I checked the air pressure with a pencil gauge (I know....but its what I had) and showed about 15 lbs. Used my sons hand pump that we use for footballs, etc and inflated it to 45 or so. All good for a week then felt soft again. Took it in for its 1000 mile service and asked them to set the pressure to 45 lbs. A week later feels soft again with my wife on back. Go to dealership, bought the hand air pump and gauge showed 16 lbs. Inflated to 35lbs, two days later I checked it and showed 16lbs. Inflated to 30 lbs and one day later showed 18 lbs. Called dealership and was told 5 lbs/day is acceptable with The Motor Company. I did not have this issue with my 2003 Road King. I did soap the connections that I could see and nothing stood out. Have an appointment in a couple of weeks (my schedule, not theirs) to have it checked. Is it normal to have to add air every 3-4 days? My "Ain't Right Meter" is ticking with enthusiasm!

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Since the bike is still in warranty, I'd ask for that in writing. 5 lbs per day sounds way off base. I usually air mine up for the summer. Wife doesn't ride with me. Just my .02.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
no...my 2012 will go for months without needing air...my 04 would last a couple weeks....don't seem right to me...just sayin...

·
Adding Miles
545 Posts
Agree - should not lose that much in that timeframe. You have been doing the right stuff in assessing the problem - let the dealer sort it. I use 50 lbs for two up only and adjust accordingly.

I would recommend the HD pump for the shocks.

·
2,327 Posts
Mine always lost 5-10 lbs in a week. Always had to check before 2 up riding. Changed to Progressive.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,519 Posts
I finally gave up on my air shocks and they stay at zero. Never could find a leak with the soap bubbles, but the air would be gone in a few days. Techs couldn't find the leak either. When I am carrying a heavy load (like 5 gallons of Polynesian juice), I'll air them up a bit, but mostly, I just don't think about them anymore.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No leaking here either.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies. I think a couple/three pounds a week is not out of line but not 5 lbs per day. I will keep up with this and when I bring it in I'll let you know what they say or find out. It's not rocket science and they should be able to get a better handle on this.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Mine don't leak at all. But I bought them from Diezel and they are off a Road King. Just sayin' ROAD KINGS ARE THE BEST!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
My originals on my Road King ('04) leaked. I changed the hoses and fittings and they still leaked. I removed the shocks for testing and they passed--no bubbles. However, I noticed that after I had inverted them for the soap bubble test, they held air a lot longer (I didn't bother trying to figure out why). I replaced them with a low mileage used set from a 2013 Limited (Thanks, 2010Ultra) and these do not leak, period. The ride is better, too. Suspension mods are way down the list--for me.

--

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an 06 Ultra. Mine did the same thing loosing air after sitting a few days. Never could find a leak. I was interested in lowering the rear; so I put new HD shocks that lowered the rear about an 1". No more leaking out air. A Buddy told me the seal inside the shock can leak even on newer bikes? Hope this helps?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As a follow up the dealership trimmed and re-set the air lines and it is doing much better now. Might lose 5 lbs in 4 weeks or so.

·
Registered
294 Posts
No leaking here either.

No leaks here either. Mines an 07.
Changed the originals out this year (no leaks). Put on Harley lowering shocks, and no leaks on these either.
I'd make the dealer change them. Or, if you want, make an offer, and I'll ship the stock electra glide ones I have on the shelf to ya. They are off an 07 ElectraGlide.

2007 ElectraGlide
65,000 miles and counting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yours is under warrantee so I'd let the dealership mess with it but if your curious this is my experience.
Changed the fork oil in my 01 RK and went in through the top (because I had the chrome off on the front to adjust the handle bars) and after putting it together it wouldn't hold air. Tried the soap and water test, like one of the posters above, and couldn't get it to bubble anywhere. Wound up cutting off the ends of the air tubes, re-inserting, now it's holding air again. Go figure.
I'm changing the oil in my "unservicable" rear shocks, we'll have to see how that goes..

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
There is no way that a 5lb loss in a day is within specs. I keep mine at 25 lbs and they don't lose 5lbs over THE ENTIRE WINTER. I have to add a couple pounds in the spring and then maybe a pound or two one other time ALL SEASON.

That dude just didn't want to replace yours. I'd bitch until they gave me fresh goods for the low price of 'on the house.'

·
Registered
35 Posts
Personally, I think H-D's air shocks suck. I have a '14 S G on brand new 13" air shocks. They will leak down in cold weather I've noticed if I don't ride the bike during the week. Needless to say I'm switching to Progressive shocks this spring.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was told all air shocks loss air always have to keep adding air They have a CVO shock that all you have to do is turn a knop to increase your load carrying but cost a little over 500 dollars but worth it

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Harley is fine if you lose five pounds of air a day, a quart of oil a week and if your auto-primary chain adjuster takes out your inner primary bearing and clutch bearing too. Just remember, if anything goes wrong with your Harley - IT'S YOUR FAULT AND NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY!

Pete

Have had my 2014 Ultra Classic about 6 weeks now and I'm still struggling with the air in the rear shocks. When I took delivery I asked the dealership what the shocks were inflated to and they said 50 lbs. In a week or so the suspension seemed soft with my wife on back so I checked the air pressure with a pencil gauge (I know....but its what I had) and showed about 15 lbs. Used my sons hand pump that we use for footballs, etc and inflated it to 45 or so. All good for a week then felt soft again. Took it in for its 1000 mile service and asked them to set the pressure to 45 lbs. A week later feels soft again with my wife on back. Go to dealership, bought the hand air pump and gauge showed 16 lbs. Inflated to 35lbs, two days later I checked it and showed 16lbs. Inflated to 30 lbs and one day later showed 18 lbs. Called dealership and was told 5 lbs/day is acceptable with The Motor Company. I did not have this issue with my 2003 Road King. I did soap the connections that I could see and nothing stood out. Have an appointment in a couple of weeks (my schedule, not theirs) to have it checked. Is it normal to have to add air every 3-4 days? My "Ain't Right Meter" is ticking with enthusiasm!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts