Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a really dumb question, but some things ya'never know unless somebody talks about it or you ask.

I never heard anybody mention as a reason to prefer windshields or even face shields, any jostling of their vision, obviously due to wind buffetting.

Since I put the Sundowner seat on my V-Rod, it seems like I'm sitting a good bit higher, the wind is beating my helmet a lot more, I can still duck down a bit and be behind the windshield. When I do it's like the difference between turning on and off image stabilization on a high tech video camera.

Almost makes me wonder if I've got eyeballs loose in my head, 'cause on a windy day at highway speeds w/o a windshield , even with a full face helmet and face shield, my vision is definitely uncomfortably unstable, bouncing around a little like a hand held camera if the person holding it was running.

I wear glasses, the helmet presses hard on the temples, so buffetting on the helmet is transmitted to the glasses frame. I don't remember this phenomenon when I rode 30 years ago, but I wasn't wearing glasses then.

Is this common? If so how on earth could anybody ride at twice highway speeds with only sunglasses on?

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
I wear glasses on a regular basis, Nathang, so I obviously wear them on the bike. I agree: High speed wind is an issue...

If my glasses lenses are too small, I get too much wind and my eyes water. Despite wearing glasses, my face isn't protected from rain, bugs or road debris like it is when I use a windshield. I only experienced issues with buffetting at speeds over 75, when I use the windshield.

I do find that a windshield causes the bike to move around a little more on windy days, or when being passed by another car/truck, but outside that, it's like it's not there.

I find the angle of your windshield can effect it's effects on the bike, as well.

Without it, at higher speeds, my glasses vibrate, and by helmet starts to get pushed back on my head.... The windshield helps a lot with that.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Make that three people with glasses. When I got my bike I wanted to explore it's top speeds, so I found a nice stretch of road and spanked the throttle hard. This is before I bought my windshield by the way. Well I hit 100 and my head was bobbing around but I pressed on up to 115 mph when I realized that I could no longer make out the road from severe head buffeting and slowed back down ( never mind trying to hold on to the handle bars) Then I bought a newer more modern full face helmet which was designed like most are now with a small spoiler built in to the rear top of the helmet. This one improvement in design is amazing! I have not hit those speeds again yet (these are rare occasions) but I have hit about 105 with almost no buffeting. Now I know some of you if not most of you wear 1/2 helmets and I don't think they have produced any so far with the spoiler but if the buffeting is really getting you you may want to consider one.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=316&c=2
Notice the backside of the helmet.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Good question.

Even tossing out the question of glasses, there is a definite effect on vision as eye conditions change.

Not just simply by the effects of drying or watering, but also lens reaction.

If you have ever worn contacts, you have learned that the contact changes the shape of the lens slightly as part of the correction process. Blood pressure changes from caffeine or medicines can do the same thing.

Slight lens shape changes from wind can affect your vision ranging from slight changes to extreme distortion. Basically the eye is a fluid filled orb that the wind can distort. Just press slightly with a finger to see the immediate effect.

I see people all the time wearing just regular sunglasses or nothing at all to protect their eyes and marvel that they can ride at all. There probably is some long term built up effect as well.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Interesting. I honestly never thought about it that much.

The majority of the "upright" bikes I've ridden had windshields, my Sportster and the V-Rod being the only two exceptions. I don't remember wind being an issue on the Sporty (and I still wore glasses/contacts back then). On the 'Rod, if I was bare-headed I had to be more mindful of the style of sunglasses I'd wear but most of the time I had a full-face, so wind wasn't an issue. Used a polar-optics visor shield for sunny days so I wasn't trying to squeeze in sunglasses. I'd imagine wearing glasses inside a full-face would be pretty uncomfortable.

Riding a sportbike incorporates an entirely new set of aerodynamics... I could ride north of 130 on the street with only a pair of sunglasses and feel less wind than on my "upright" bikes.

Wearing a half-shell that's gotten too roomy can be incredibly uncomfortable at speed... the ponytail helps a bit to keep the helmet 'in place' but I'll stop wearing it once the padding wears to the point that it starts to slide on my head.

At 42, I'm 11-years-post-Lasik and am noticing my eyes tend to be a little drier and can become irritated by the end of a full riding day (esp. if I'm headed into the sun). Maybe it's time for a bottle of eye drops in the tour-pak.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I've tried so many different goggles, and glasses. I don't really like goggles, they just seem big and bulky, so I've mostly worn glasses. Many of the glasses I wore just didn't fit quite right though, and would let wind in behind them, my eyes would water and the glasses sometimes felt as if they were going to fly off my face.

I finally found a pair of riding glasses (happened to be HD) that fit my face perfect! No wind gets in and they stay on my face perfectly!

so I say as long as you find a pair of glasses that fit right you'll have no trouble. I've taken 450+ mile ride at highway speeds with glasses and had no trouble, and I've rode 130+ mph with glasses on.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd imagine wearing glasses inside a full-face would be pretty uncomfortable
Now there's a comment that reminds me of an item of some puzzlement for me.
I can't think of any time where wearing glasses seems to be of some side benefit,
other than being able to see, of course, and there's hardly ever been a time I thought
I might miss them if I had my eyes fixed, except for one thing about motorcycle riding:
riding with my full face helmet visor up an inch or two.

Unless it's raining, really windy or bitterly cold, I like to ride with my visor open a bit, gives me some air,
some light wind in the face feel, while still blocking road grit and rocks and bugs from hitting my face.
Having the glasses on is a good second line of defense, because there is still dust
and small particles and bugs that would surely wind up in my eye if not for the coverage of the glasses.

It has ocurred to me that even if I were to get my vision corrected, I might still
wind up wearing glasses even under a full face helmet because of that.

It's with some grumbling that I realizing that some of these observations and comments
on what riding is like are really transient, and change more than I'd expect or like with
any change in accessories on the bikes.

I had what I thought was a pretty near perfect arrangement on the V-Rod with my stock seat
and the "Mid-sport" windshield, I sat at just the right height and could see over the screen
but the wind deflected up and over just fine. The stock seat wasn't really comfortable,
but 9 times out of 10 I'm not on the bike for much longer than an hour at a time, so it didn't bother me much.

I guess I heard people grumbling about the seat or raving about the comfort of the Sundowner,
anyway I decided to upgrade the seat. That started the cascade of hassles getting everything right again.
First, the passenger portion of the Sundowner seat is unnecessarily bulky for someone
who is NEVER going to have anyone riding behind them, so I had to rig the stock passenger
seat to mate with the rider's seat portion of the Sundowner assy. That mating worked out very well.

I also noticed the comfort of my riding position was improved, even with the "Reach" handlebars,
at 5'10" I was a bit stretched to be comfortable, the higher seat position that I didn't expect
from the new seat improved my seating comfort nicely, BUT now I no longer have the right windshield, dammitt.
I just ordered off Ebay a windshield that is larger than I ever wanted to use on the V-Rod,
but at my new higher seated position I appear to have no choice.
I'm sure it'll change my wind buffetting scenario in new and unexpected ways.

Oh well, I found NIB original HD windshields are about half price on Ebay, if it fits well and looks ok
and is a little bigger than I want, I'll just take a sabre-saw to it and trim it down to the size I want.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
All sorts of combinations to work out here... seats, shields, eyewear, helmets, a person's height, etc. My random observations...

- No shield on the DX here. Nice smooth airflow to the full faced helmet versus dirty or buffeted air. My experience with windshields on raked out H-D FX framed bikes... Wide Glide, Deuce, is marginal at best. All kinds of wind coming up from the bottom. Buffeting.

- Fine with the stock seat.

- Don't need glasses, but occasionally ride with sunglasses under the helmet. The tighter the helmet, the more painful the sunglasses, especially around the ears. Have a number of helmets collected over the years and some are quite friendly to glasses. Helmet could make a big diff.

- I don't understand Lasik much but have a riding friend who had it done, and while it has helped his riding vision, it came at the expense of him now needing glasses to see things closer. He regrets the decision.

·
Enigma
217 Posts
When I'm out riding, wear my contacts. If I know there is going to be high winds in the area, I wear my carbonfiber FF. It's a little easier on my neck.
My regular ICON FF weighs twice as much as the CF FF, feels like my head is gonna get ripped off. Also, I try and keep my chest as close to the tank/airbox as possible.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Here is my down and dirty version of an answer:
Wind causes drying and potential damage to eyes from tiny particles of whatever may be in the air.

A short list of what drying of the eyes can do to your eyes:
*Irritation of the eyes, however that may evidence itself:
.A feeling as if you have something in your eye
.Itchiness, burning or pain​
*Fatigue, blurring of vision and sensitivity to light
*Thickened mucus around your eye
Dry eye can not only be caused by exposure to wind but may be worsened by it. Hot and dry winds are worse.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I have been contiplating goggles that fit over the glasses. Has anyone tried them?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can get prescription goggles ground, I think they would work and fit better.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I have been contiplating goggles that fit over the glasses. Has anyone tried them?
I actually have a set of goggles that fit over my glasses and, just like everything else in this world, if you pay for a good set, they aren't too bad.

I got lucky. Cataracts are a genetic thing in my family so I got new lenses. During the process I ran across a "Trunk Sale" at the hospital and found a pair of Nike frames that pretty much wrap around. I had tinted lenses put in them and they are pretty much all I wear when riding now.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I actually have a set of goggles that fit over my glasses and, just like everything else in this world, if you pay for a good set, they aren't too bad.

I got lucky. Cataracts are a genetic thing in my family so I got new lenses. During the process I ran across a "Trunk Sale" at the hospital and found a pair of Nike frames that pretty much wrap around. I had tinted lenses put in them and they are pretty much all I wear when riding now.
Good to know. Your endorsement was the push I needed. I will begin my slow and careful investigation (shop) for a set.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cataracts are a genetic thing in my family so I got new lenses
I may not understand...... I thought new lenses would correct your vision, besides removing cataracts?

Dinero, is that the mysterious Crystal Lens implants that you got?

If so I'd like to hear about them, I haven't much liked some of the things I've heard about Lasik, I actually like the sound of the Crystal Lens more... but then, I thought they would mean I didn't need glasses anymore so I'm cornfused.

Eze, as to Dinero's goggles, I think I remember him saying that he didn't even know where his helmet was anymore, he might have a differrent perspective on goggles than you would to be able to wear your helmet. I used to love my goggles that had an elastic strap that fit over my 3/4 helmet, but I doubt you'll find a pair like that for over glasses.

These are interesting..not for over glasses but instead of...

Motorcycle prescription sunglasses by Riders in the
Velocity gloss black nylon frame – Flames explode down
both temples on a facing hugging extreme wrap frame.
Frame Price: 20.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Riders-Velo...mZ320209059636QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Attachments

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...and boy, if I didn't need to wear glasses, I'd definitely be ordering some of THESE.. very cool.

Vintage Swiss Glacier Goggles
1920's Swiss Goggles in Tin Storage Case

$22
Genuine, Vintage Glacier Goggles from Switzerland. Dark glass lenses protect your eyes while the long fabric straps tied at the back of your head secure them to your face. Packed in hinged tin boxes, they date from the 1920's and bear the signs of age and of use. Be forewarned: Wearing them will make you look for all the world like James Bond in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

http://www.poshchicago.com/product.asp?name=Vintage-Swiss-Glacier-Goggles&pfid=PSH01163&eng=2

Attachments

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More leads... I'm Googling around this morning...

This auction is for a pair of Motorcycle Goggles/Sunglasses
It is called The Phoenix.
This is Rx-able!
These are Interchangeable from goggles to sunglasses!
3 sets of lenses also included!
Interchangeable goggles/sunglasses with 3 sets of lenses!
Shatterproof, polycarbonate lenses.
Three Lenses: DAY (SMOKE MIRRORED), OVERCAST OR DUSK (YELLOW), NIGHT (CLEAR)
Prescription Lens Insert (frame) included so that you can take to your own eye doctor- see below
opening bid $24.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...016QQitemZ260212622924QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Attachments

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I may not understand...... I thought new lenses would correct your vision, besides removing cataracts?

Dinero, is that the mysterious Crystal Lens implants that you got?

If so I'd like to hear about them, I haven't much liked some of the things I've heard about Lasik, I actually like the sound of the Crystal Lens more... but then, I thought they would mean I didn't need glasses anymore so I'm cornfused.

Eze, as to Dinero's goggles, I think I remember him saying that he didn't even know where his helmet was anymore, he might have a differrent perspective on goggles than you would to be able to wear your helmet. I used to love my goggles that had an elastic strap that fit over my 3/4 helmet, but I doubt you'll find a pair like that for over glasses.
Let me clarify all this.

Yes I wore glasses for many years and I always tried to have a pair of prescription sunglasses. In 2005 I had cataract surgeries and had the lenses in both eyes replaced. This does correct your vision at the same time as eliminating the cataracts, but cannot change the functioning of the aging process, so I do need a little help reading and up close. For most daily chores around the house or at work, I kept drugstore readers around. But I did spring for a good pair of glasses for driving and riding which are bi-focal. The prescription is really in the lower lens so that I don't have to carry multiple sets of glasses everywhere I go.

Back up a couple of years and get back to the glasses. There were times that I wore a helmet. Sometimes travelling across state lines requires a helmet and the goggles that I had to wear over my glasses were designed for that purpose. I could wear them with or without the helmet. I wore a half helmet and the only time I used a face shield was during inclement weather.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts