Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's why my helmet is also Snell rated. If I eat shit, I'd prefer that I reduce the likely I end up a vegetable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had three times a helmet came into play. The first a 50lb dog dove between my front wheel and engine at 50 mph. Sliding down the road the helmet saved my head. On the second, I was stopped at a light when hit from behind. The only damage to me was whiplash from the weight of the helmet. Have also experienced a large rock come off the top of a truck come down on my helmet. I wear helmets whenever on the bike.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
It’s great that helmets have saved some of you. But I think it should be a personal choice not required by the govt. I don’t wear one on the street and have skidded down the highway 3 times guess I was lucky. But of course on the strip it’s leather suit and Simpson full face helmet

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
I wear a helmet all the time regardless of how far I am going or whether or not it is required, but I agree that it shouldn't be mandated by law, at least for adults. That's a risk the individual assumes and it only affects the individual.

Though to me, a bigger problem is that it is mandatory they be DOT, DOT sets requirements, and then DOT doesn't make sure helmets meet their FMVSS 218 standards before approval, they just assume the manufacturer has met the standard without testing. Obviously the threat of fines and potential forced recall isn't enough to make manufacturers meet the requirements since almost half of them fail performance standards (43.1%).

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Small high velocity pebbles coming off passing car tires can penetrate the plastic of a full face modular. Something pinged off front of mine. Next gas stop could not open helmet. Button was jammed. Finally got it loose. Hole in plastic near release button. Little forker would have penetrated into skin. Still rattling around in there. Always wear full face on freeway now.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I think if something is going to be mandated by the government, it should have a better than 50% chance of working.

Then again, that's the government for ya.
No real way to protect against all scenarios. May protect your noggin inside the helmet. While not protecting your vertebrae and nerve connections.

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
Small high velocity pebbles coming off passing car tires can penetrate the plastic of a full face modular. Something pinged off front of mine. Next gas stop could not open helmet. Button was jammed. Finally got it loose. Hole in plastic near release button. Little forker would have penetrated into skin. Still rattling around in there. Always wear full face on freeway now.
If you are on the bike, why are cars passing you rather than you passing cars? 😜

·
Registered
11,049 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,834 Posts
Things may have changed, but years ago there was argument between DOT standards people and much more strict Snell standards people, Snell was claimed to be over the line, like imagine a titanium helmet, it might be completely indestructible, but the brain inside is not, if the helmet gives at some high degree of impact, instead of passing that force into the rider's head, it would be more ideal. Most inexpensive helmets try to meet Snell, just to be able to meet both, but there were safety engineers that claimed Snell was causing brain trauma in some impacts when DOT standard would not have.
Fun fact, Canadian Emergency room stats revealed falling from a horse is MUCH more likely to result in head injury than falling from a motorcycle. Its not the speed when you fall, or even what you hit, its the height from which the fall starts.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
^^^^^^^Those sudden stops are a bitch !!

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
I mean, some say we already have no brains for riding these "death machines". For me, it's really about protecting my money maker... because it already don't make enough as it is, I can't afford a pay cut there.

But, I think I saw something one time about someone developing a helmet where it's supposed to have an inner shell or something that moves or whatever to absorb more of any blow and transfer less of it to your head. I forget how it was supposed to work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts