Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your riding wisdom about negotiating the road in the picture?

I asked this next door and am interested in your responses.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
The same as the guy in the picture is thinking.

Shift down , twist the :stac: out of the throttle, and see if I can get the front wheel off of the ground by the time I get out of the last turn..... :D

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Not much different than level but there is a touch less rear tire traction due to not being on the throttle as hard. Just enjoy the snot out of it!!!

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Give everything a bit more room and a bit less speed.

If you're bored enough, right click and download a 5 min video clip of downhill twisty riding - Here

:D

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
What is your riding wisdom about negotiating the road in the picture?
Just noticed - the bend he is just exiting is seriously negative camber which lowers the speed you can take it at, but it looks like he would not have been able to see that much ahead of time, which all adds up to the importance of never going so fast that you can not adjust your pace in time for the next unexpected circumstance, regardless of how fast your bike will theoretically go around the current bend.

If he came around the first bend as fast as the bike would go, he probably had a "Oh Shit" moment :D

If he knew the road, then late apex the first bend, straight through the yellow center line on the second should bring him out right for the one he is just going in to. From his road position it looks like that is what he did.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for bringing up camber Pete. Not too many folks do.

Oh, I forgot to say something; the link to your clip does not seem to function. :(

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Oh, I forgot to say something; the link to your clip does not seem to function. :(
Sorry - I edited it to get rid of the full addy and got it wrong. Fixed now, Lil.

Be a little patient with the first minute, it gets better as it goes along :D

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Great video Pete! I like your "dance" with the road.
Thanks - all the ride videos are on the website at lameschmillen.com under the Rides button.

Other downhills are:-

The Closest Thing to Crazy - later part - extreme agricultural road

Separate Lives - first two minutes - sweepers

The Death of Ase - early part - mostly sweepers

The one called Finlandia is the same road section as above, but done in reverse, ie: uphill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts