Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 FLSTC with 7300 miles. Rode about 140 miles with several stops along the way. As I was riding I noticed my speedometer stopped working, moments later the red engine light came on and I immediatly pulled over and shut off the bike. a moment later when I tried to start the bike the battery was dead, no lights not even the horn worked. I switched batteries with another rider and pulled the light fuse so as to not drain the battery sooner than what my have occured. I was able to ride another 75 miles to home. When I got home the battery still held a charge and the bike started however I did not ride it. Put a battery charger on the battery and the battery appears to be charged. Also the person that I switched batteries has had no problems with the battery from my bike. It appears the battery was charged while the bike was being ridden. So what could be wrong with my bike. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe a loose connection, or a short in the lighting circuit, which might trip the master breaker. It resets on its own. Put in the lighting circuit fuse an see if youy hear a loud click.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
make sure the cables don't move or wiggle free after the battery bolts are tight. i have found that sometimes the bolt bottoms out on the terminal before it tightens. if so add a washer to the assembly to gain a tighter fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm currently dealing with what sounds like the exact same problem on exactly the same year and model bike. Did your odometer and blinkers stop working as well? The guy that usually does the engine work on my bike told me it sounds like my charging system is fried. I ran through all the electrical tests on the stator and voltage regulator. The stator tested out fine but the voltage regulator seemed not quite up to par. I replaced that on saturday and still no dice. I'm charging my battery right now and I'll take it in to get load tested tomorrow. If there's one thing I cant stand its electrical gremlins....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts