Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Well just for the inquiring minds...This whole idea was for not... I discovered that the whole problem associated with the nose dive was (are you ready for this?) RIDING TECHNIQUE ! Duh, I learned if i let off the front brake just before coming to a complete stop, the nose dive disappears. Go Figure! 馃檭

Reactions: Kainam

Road Junkie
Well just for the inquiring minds...This whole idea was for not... I discovered that the whole problem associated with the nose dive was (are you ready for this?) RIDING TECHNIQUE ! Duh, I learned if i let off the front brake just before coming to a complete stop, the nose dive disappears. Go Figure! 馃檭
Well, you haven鈥檛 solved the dive problem, you鈥檝e just mitigated it during controlled stops. Next time you have to grab a handful of that front brake in an emergency stop, you鈥檒l be reminded the problem remains.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Well, you haven鈥檛 solved the dive problem, you鈥檝e just mitigated it during controlled stops. Next time you have to grab a handful of that front brake in an emergency stop, you鈥檒l be reminded the problem remains.
Not really, I do practice "E" stops and have had to utilize the skill on the road. I had been off the saddle for about 20 years, prior to getting this Ultra. I can attest "Skills not used are soon lost!" Taking my time to practice as well as taking some MSF courses, then saddle time.
Also worth mentioning (i think): My prior bike was a 1987 (new) Venture, which had adjustable on the fly suspension. That i always rode set to "Sport". (Zero nose drop). Now older and wiser, i don't need to ride it like a dirt bike :p anymore. I'm lovin' the couch ride! Btw, i began this thread a year and many miles ago.
Every bike has its own personality and rides different than the next. They all need a bit of saddle time to get the feel. I was just impatient.

Road Junkie
Not really, I do practice "E" stops and have had to utilize the skill on the road. I had been off the saddle for about 20 years, prior to getting this Ultra. I can attest "Skills not used are soon lost!" Taking my time to practice as well as taking some MSF courses, then saddle time.
Also worth mentioning (i think): My prior bike was a 1987 (new) Venture, which had adjustable on the fly suspension. That i always rode set to "Sport". (Zero nose drop). Now older and wiser, i don't need to ride it like a dirt bike :p anymore. I'm lovin' the couch ride! Btw, i began this thread a year and many miles ago.
Every bike has its own personality and rides different than the next. They all need a bit of saddle time to get the feel. I was just impatient.
Fair enough.

At 35K miles, my dipping is getting progressively worse, especially when riding two-up and loaded for touring. I suspect a heavier weight oil would help, but probably not solve the problem. I've been saving my pennies for a new front suspension and will be pulling the trigger very soon.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Fair enough.

At 35K miles, my dipping is getting progressively worse, especially when riding two-up and loaded for touring. I suspect a heavier weight oil would help, but probably not solve the problem. I've been saving my pennies for a new front suspension and will be pulling the trigger very soon.
I can understand that happening especially if you ride near GVWR. Myself, i'm never even near the weight limits. (She rides her own). Have you had any signs of wet on the forks? Seals don't always last to the 50k mark. But then even if a seal is weeping, i would go through the whole rebuild (as you are planning) anyway. Once and done, to be happy with the ride! Wishing you success with the outcome!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts