Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first, yes I have searched and seen a few relevant posts.
1997 FLSTC, just replaced tires and had wheels trued. It now has a mild drift to the left. It never did before. I know ya should never let go of the bars, but, after a while, every now and then its nice to stretch your arms/hands.
Anyway, I first adjusted the rear to perfect alignment off the swingarm pivots. When I noticed the drift on test ride, , I began to adjust the rear axel to the left, (steer right). Ive made three adjustments, of about a 1/4 inch total, and still drifts. Swingarm bearings have no play.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
Drifting to the left means that the rear tire is pointing slightly to the right.

·
Registered
419 Posts
To check wheel and tire alignment between the front and rear tire,
I use (wrap/place) a string around the rear tire (about 2-3 inches up from the ground)
and pull the string on both sides to the front wheel. I make sure the string on each side just touches
the front of the rear tire. This will give you an idea of where your rear wheel is pointing.

I adjust the rear tire alignment so there is equal distance between the front and rear edge of the front tire,
on each side, with the string aligned at the rear wheel.

When the string on each side is spaced equal distance from the front tire's front and rear edge, and at the same
time, the string is just touching the front sides of the rear tire, then you know that the wheels and tires are in alignment.

I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
IS the road flat? Depending how you sit on your seat. I can move mine around with no hands by sitting off center a bit.
Put beer in opposite bag from one with your tools...

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
IS the road flat? Depending how you sit on your seat. I can move mine around with no hands by sitting off center a bit.
Put beer in opposite bag from one with your tools...
I used to ride from Clovis NM to Cannon AFB, about 10 miles, with no hands on the bars. Stick left knee out to move into the passing lane, stick right knee out to move back into outside lane after passing car.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
I used to ride from Clovis NM to Cannon AFB, about 10 miles, with no hands on the bars. Stick left knee out to move into the passing lane, stick right knee out to move back into outside lane after passing car.
I usually stick out my left arm to signal just in case, use right to signal right. Just being polite. Those sudden cross winds can be bitch..:fitz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts