Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I liked the look of the buckshot heat shields but didn't want to spend the money. Also wanted the head pipe shields to match the new V&H slip-on's I got. Project took longer than I thought but turned out ok. Here are some pics as well.
1. Marked 1" holes on the heat shields. Took some time to space correctly to avoid the clamp brackets. I did have to drill out the side of one bracket to make it look correct.
Jaw Pipe

2. You'll want to drill starter holes before using a large bit like a 1" twist. I started with a 1/2 inch bit. Drilling the holes would be incredibly hard without a drill press. But if you're gonna try, make sure to clamp them down tight and use a punch before drilling. Get a good quality bit too.
Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

3. Sand the shields. I actually used 150 grit to start and really rough them up. Then used 400 wet to finish up. Make sure nothing is shiny before painting. Make sure to clean them really good after sanding.

4. Used Rustoleum high temp paint in flat black. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot. Put on three coats and let dry overnight.
Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior

Pattern Design Polka dot

5. Changed stock mufflers to V&H 3" slash slip on's. Hardest part was getting the stock mufflers off!!!! Damn. Putting the new one's on was a snap.

6. My head pipes were all blued up so I sanded them down with same process as shields and then painted them with silver high temp paint from Lowes. That way the pipes would look good through the holes in the shields.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior

7. If you are putting on the V&H slip on's, they fit over the lower part of the shields so be careful not to scratch up the newly painted shields.

I think it turned out great for a few hours of work and about $40 bucks in materials...the drill bit was $25. Oh, and the sound of these new mufflers is incredible...huge difference!
Vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive exterior

Auto part Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Pipe

·
But working on it...
53 Posts
I agree very nice. Had a friend who made a set of true dual header pipes and then had them ceramic coated because of the heat. Hope the paint holds up to the heat as you put some time in. Again nice work.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Nice work. Always feels alittle better when you figure it out yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.