Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I am planning on adding a softail tank on my sporty and just want to check something. The rear mounting holes for my current tank are 5 inches away from the mounting bracket on the new tank. I know I can just drill a hole down the backbone and put a bolt through it (with grommets and washers of course). Even though I can do it, should I? I know it will affect the strength of the frame, but will it be affected to the extent that I should be worried?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Guys,
I am planning on adding a softail tank on my sporty and just want to check something. The rear mounting holes for my current tank are 5 inches away from the mounting bracket on the new tank. I know I can just drill a hole down the backbone and put a bolt through it (with grommets and washers of course). Even though I can do it, should I? I know it will affect the strength of the frame, but will it be affected to the extent that I should be worried?
Instead of drilling all the way through it, why not just drill and tap for a 1/4 bolt. :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually think that is what I'm going to do. When I mocked it up today on my lunch break, the bolt hits the frame at the Y (where the backbone meets the spread under the seat). Since that is a pretty crucial point, I don't want to go all the way through. Thanks brother.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I actually think that is what I'm going to do. When I mocked it up today on my lunch break, the bolt hits the frame at the Y (where the backbone meets the spread under the seat). Since that is a pretty crucial point, I don't want to go all the way through. Thanks brother.
If you can weld , drill and then weld a 1/4 coupling nut in place as reinforcement . Get the nut from Lowes . :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually can weld, but don't have a welder. That's at the family farm several hours away. For just drilling and tapping the hole for 1/4" bolt, it won't affect the frame near enough to justify carting the bike over there to weld that one piece; especially since the bike is apart right now.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I actually can weld, but don't have a welder. That's at the family farm several hours away. For just drilling and tapping the hole for 1/4" bolt, it won't affect the frame near enough to justify carting the bike over there to weld that one piece; especially since the bike is apart right now.
I was thinking of if the metal was too thin to hold threads . I don't remember if the FLHTCUI's have an insert welded in or not. Too damm lazy to go pull seat on mine to look . :)

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
On my '99 sporty the backbone was thick enough not to need an insert. I drilled and tapped on it and its been holding strong for 3 years now

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so here is a mock up of the tank on the bike. Will be repainting the front and rear fenders and probably the oil tank. The angle is more aggressive looking than it really is. I like it, has an old school look to it, and I love that luxury blue paint. Taking the bike apart for a carb rebuild, and repainting so it won't make it's full debut until some time in the spring. I'm still doing it no matter what, but what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bagger, it will be awesome once it's all setup. I usually don't like people who just throw a big tank on a sportster to make it look bigger, but I'm doing it because I got a sick deal on the tank and it goes really well with the old school bobber look I'm going with for the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts