Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what the expected life on the drive belt is? Is it determined by years, miles, combo?
22k miles and counting on my RKC.

Thanks,

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Good question. I'm sure years and miles are factors, and the web also notes keeping the tension right is helpful. Saw a post recently from someone with over 100,000 miles on their bike. A rock broke the belt at 45,000 miles, and the replacement has worked fine since. Maybe others have a reference on this?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have seen a belt with over 175K on and still going - if it was me I would replace it though as it was over 10 years old!!!

However, I just broke the belt on my V-Rod with less than 10k on it!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
FWIW,

I've read that a tight belt is a sure recipe for a short life. Better to be a little loose than a little tight.

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had to replace on the road king around 42k.. Only because a rock had gone through it..
My bike is a 2000, and I think the replacement for it was an even better belt.. they have improved over the years..
I would reccomend a close inspection, looking for unusual wear and cracks, or a defect, hole or something..
Other wise I say ride.....:ride

PS.. The shop even said they have seen holes in the middle( not on the edge ) of the web still running.. But I don't reccomend it..

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
If properly adjusted, they will easily go 50-75k... and often much further.

Seems like the only problems are foreign objects and improper adjustment.

Not having to dink around with chain lube/adjustments rocks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...uuummm, well, no...:rofl: not really...actually, yes!!!:D
Pulled away from a traffic light, hard, rear wheel snakin, front wheel grabbing slight lift, full power shift into second -only for a second, and then nothing!!!:eek:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:eek: :eek:

Wonder why it broke then??????? :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
I know of a Karata replacement belt that is going on its 18th year on a Low Rider. The stock belt caught a rock in New Mexico and punched a hole in it. The replacement got me through England, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, Germany, from Wichita KS -> Los Angeles, and from Wichita KS <-> Sturgis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It shouldn't make any difference if you are bang'in gear or not. I have a '93 fatboy bored and stroked pushing 100 horse and I put 1 belt on for a rock split and a deformed rear sprocket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im running an 89 FLH with 210,000 klms,BURNOUTS,drag racing, ang generally hard riding over 20 years.The last 40000 klms with a good sized chunk missing from the outer edge but the belt's still going strong.Dammm near indestructable.

·
Road gliding man
61 Posts
Had 30,000 on my road glide belt just broke.
Then 2,000 miles later a stone got lodged at the front primary, had to replace belt again.
Both replaced under warranty:banana

1 - 19 of 19 Posts