Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add some driving lights to my glide and all i have found so far is the HD kit for the SG which i have to purchase new signals as well. then the Kuryakyn on that looks like the harley and actually costs a few bucks more. what other options are there? trying to avoid clamping some lights on the crash bar and ruining the looks...
:feedback:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not sure what glide you have but I switched to HID's from (SoCalMotoGear.com) and swiched to Custom Dynamic's led turn signals (Dynamic Ringz™ Driving Lights & Turn Signals). The difference is dramatic and worth every penny spent.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am going with socal for the HID headlight but i want to add extra lights. but i dont like the light bar really so i was looking at the possible optins which HD only has one other option which means i buy new signals.. so cal has the driving lights to replace the stock harley but i didnt see a complete kit from them or am i missing something?

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Check out Custom Dynamics.

·
The Extreme Member
1,477 Posts
I just ordered a setup from SoCalMotogear for my Electra glide

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I too, just ordered the HID/LED headlight combo from SoCalMotoGear.com for my 2014 Street Glide.

Awaiting delivery...

·
The Extreme Member
1,477 Posts
I too, just ordered the HID/LED headlight combo from SoCalMotoGear.com for my 2014 Street Glide.

Awaiting delivery...
I cant wait to get my setup, I ordered the 50watt passing light so I am stoked:cheers

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
Not sure what glide you have but I switched to HID's from (SoCalMotoGear.com) and switched to Custom Dynamic's led turn signals (Dynamic Ringz™ Driving Lights & Turn Signals). The difference is dramatic and worth every penny spent.
This is a concern of mine. I have been reading about the following...

The voltage drop that is caused every time you start the bike while the HID bulb is warming up and getting bright puts a strain on the light system possibly shortening the life of both the ballast and bulb. Instructions say not to turn off the light or cause any voltage drop while the bulb is warming up.

For those of you that have these lights, did you do anything about delaying the headlights from turning on prior to starting the engine since HID lighting systems will not tolerate the voltage drop from the starter while the lights are warming up to full brightness? Is there a real workaround to "fix" this? Is there a way to delay the headlight from turning on before the engine is started?

I just ordered this light from SoCalMotoGear for my 2014 FLHX and now I am second guessing myself. Maybe I should have ordered the LED instead.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Just let the light warm up prior to starting your bike. Give it 5 seconds from when you turn your ignition on until you hit the start button. The light will be plenty warm by that point.

·
The Extreme Member
1,477 Posts
I just received my HID kit from SoCal, I got 50watt passing lights
All I can say it was very easy and VERY DAMN BRIGHT even during the day. Best money I have ever spent on upgrade

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts

Awaiting delivery...
Okay,

Got the kit yesterday, and looking over the parts, I am trying to determine where to mount the ballast on my '14 Street Glide.

I did not order any extension cables so it must be mounted somewhere behind the fairing near the headlight housing I suppose but I haven't looked at the bike yet to see whats behind the headlight.

Anyone have this kit that can help me find a good, secure, safe mounting location for the ballast? TIA,

·
The Extreme Member
1,477 Posts
I put mine on the inside of the faring to the right of the headlight use the sticky pad and press on firmly.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have had no problems so far without using a delay. By the time the FI pump primes and you can start the bike the bulbs should be warmed up. The lights are so well designed as far as installation I believe SoCal would have addressed this if it were an issue. I've had mine about 2-months and have about 2000 miles on the bulbs with no issues. I too would be interested with other riders feedback

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Just let the light warm up prior to starting your bike. Give it 5 seconds from when you turn your ignition on until you hit the start button. The light will be plenty warm by that point.
Just FYI, my indy told me to hit the start button as soon as the red light goes out--but not before. That is always 5+ seconds after turning the ign switch on.

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I put mine on the inside of the faring to the right of the headlight. use the sticky pad and press on firmly.
Did the install last night, but rather than mount the ballast on the inside of the fairing, I carefully tie-wrapped it to a large wire harness cluster behind the fairing. I didn't want any wiring attached to the fairing should the need arise that I have to remove the fairing and worry about disconnecting wires; could get a bit clumsy.

Hopefully the ballast will be safe and the wiring harness will not have any problems with the ballast hanging on to it. If need be, I can re-locate it.

The lights are working but haven't taken the bike for a ride at this time to see how the HID is aimed or how bright it is on the rode.

But the LED high beam appears to be useless from what I could see from within my garage last night. The HID overwhelmed the LED in the garage so I'll know more when the get the bike out for a ride.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay I received the kit from Socal,(HID Headlight and 50 wt passing lamps), I also the next day received the passing light kit from Harley they are the ones that mount where the factory signals go and you have to add turn lights to them. They are about 3-4"in diameter. I guess i missed the part where you had to order bulbs seperately! but obviously the Socal bulbs wont work. Going to the dealer today to get some lamps to fit them. what have you guys done for brighter lights or is the HD ones my only option for the housings? the HD light kit i ordered was 6918-06...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts