Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a techincal question and hopefully someone can help me out or at least point me in the right direction. I have a 2008 Ultra Classic that has ABS. I want to install a 360 brake on the front wheel. If any of you have never seen a 360 brake, it's a very small, self-contained braking system that fits around the axle and allows an unobstructed view of your bike's wheel. However, it will not work with ABS. So here are my questions...Is it possible to deactivate the ABS on the front wheel only? If so, will the computer throw a code? Will the bike run? Will the rear ABS brakes function with the front non-ABS brakes? Is there a way to do this without disturbing the ECM? Can the ABS sensor be bypassed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Anythings possible and killing yourself would come close to the top of the list. I've seen these on choppers, but on an 800 + pound bagger why ?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,194 Posts
Afraid you're not going to get much response on this...

...because, and really I mean no offense, this is an incredibly dumb idea.

You should know, a drum brake of small enough diameter to allow a clear view of the wheel
would almost certainly be functionally useless.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Welcome!!!

I kinda agree on the "uselessness" of ABS and a teeny-tiny front brake. Why bother with ABS at all?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,194 Posts
Now here's a better idea, you should still have great brakes, even better brakes,
it should be compatible with ABS, and would give you that open wheel look.

Perimeter brakes. Really the hot ticket in performance brakes.
As I understand it, the ABS sensor Harley uses has a sensor in or near the hub,
so it shouldn't know or care where the disk brake rotor is located.

·
Registered
133 Posts
AS long as you don't change the wheel size the abs should still work correctly as the encoder for the abs is in the left wheel bearing

But would that large of a brake or the small drum brake cause problems? only harley can say for sure and i wouldnt bet on a answer from them

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
I seem to remember reading about a bunch of issues with these brakes.
None of them good. Heating up, fading and burning up bearings to name a few.:eek:
And that was on lighter bikes. No telling how they would be on a bagger.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome. As requested you have been pointed in the right direction. Good luck!

·
Registered
623 Posts
:confused::eek:

To each their own, I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts