Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and gals). I tried the search bar and didn't come up with anything. What are you guys using for eye protection? For normal people its easy you can wear just about any tight to eye sunglasses and they are pretty good for the wind, but for the visually impaired like myself it's not so simple LOL. I had a nice pair of goggles that weren't hideous and they fit over my old eyeglasses. Since I got a new set of frames I've been having a hard time with the wind. My goggles won't fit over my glasses. All I have found that work are a nice big thick pair of Stihl safety goggles that I had out in the garage. So needles to say lately I'm looking like a dufus. What's everyone else using? Do you get used to wearing nothing at all? I've tried just wearing my glasses but my eyes water all over my face and they dry right up. Help a brother out here guys!! Thanks in advance.

Doug

06 Sportster 883 Custom, straight pipes, semi apes, saddlebags, sissy bar

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depending on your helmet choices, I use the built-in flip up visors.

Scorpion makes some nice helmets such as the Exo-110 models. Allows you to wear your glasses, but not a pain in the neck when pulling helmet off/on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I use Global Vision outfitter glasses. They fit over my work issued prescription safety glasses and I have even left side shields in them no problem. I get them through Amazon for about 12 a pair.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I just bought some visene for dry eyes I'm gonna see how that works. I have seen people with nothing on at all I just don't know how they do it. Maybe you just get used to it. I'm gonna look for the global visions. I went to my optometrist and he said he could get me glasses for 100 bucks with the lenses in them. I was hoping for something a little cheaper...

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't wear eye glasses. I'm blessed in that sort of way, and I don't have dry eyes either. Personally I can't stand riding without a helmet if I go any further than around town.

The bugs KILL me. I have to clean my face shield every day. I wear a 3/4 helmet. I worry about stones too as I don't want to take one to the face.

The other thing is if I don't have riding glasses that fit tight to my head my eyes water so much I can't stand it.

All that might be different if I had a wind shield, but I don't so I wear a helmet with eye protection.

Cool? Not really but I'd rather be comfortable than look good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll try to see if my eyes get used to just my eyeglasses and the drops. The problem isn't actually dry eye it's that they water so much and burn and eventually they become dry. Thanks for the advise everyone!

·
Señor Member
19,587 Posts
Careful with the Visine. You don't need that "red-out" drug for dry eye and overuse can be uncool for your eyes. I like "rewetting" drops or "artificial tears". No drugs, just eye lube, so you can use it as often as you want.

Long trips I'll also carry a big ass bottle of saline (ala contacts care). Less than two bucks for a big ass bottle and you can hose your eyes out completely with that. A few minutes later, hit it with the stuff I described above which keeps your eyes moist for a long time.

Saline doesn't lube for a long time, but its great for rinsing bugs out of your eyes.

·
Señor Member
19,587 Posts
To keep them from watering in the wind, you need glasses that seal. I buy cheap gas station shades ala ZZ Top. I try them all on until a find a pair that match up with my sockets well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The global visions may be available at your dealership so you can try them on over your glasses. They look funny without a helmet but they don't look as big when you put a helmet on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I see your here in good 'ol Jersey. Unless you have a windshield the law says you have to wear eye protection. What type of helmet do you wear? Not that I would wear one but some full face helmets will allow you to wear your prescription glasses.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tip. The visene I grabbed is the one that is like the tears. It says it has 10 ingredients that are in your tears naturally. I don't know if it has the red-out chemicals too. I would love to be able to wear some tight fitting sunglasses but I wear eyeglasses. I'm going to check out the global visions. I wear a "novelty" helmet so it has no eye protection. I think I would rather wear my Stihl safety glasses rather than buy a full face helmet. As far as the eye protection law, I think I will be fine with my regular eye glasses I'm not really sure. I suppose I'll keep some goggles in my saddlebags just in case I get a real Barney fife- which is possible with some of the town cops. Thanks guys for the advise!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have dry eyes and never could get used to contacts. So, when it comes to sunglasses, I have very limited choice. For riding, I bought a pair of Bobsters goggle a couple of years ago. This one has a Rx inserts (a small eye glass frame with no folding legs.) as well as interchangeable lenses for different colors. I took it to a eyeglass shop and they put in Rx lenses for me. This works pretty good on any days. I only wear this when I put on a half helmet. Otherwise, I just use my Rx sunglasses and helmet to shield my face from wind.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I wear contacts and i use pyramex ztek safety glasses, dark grey for day and blue for night. Woorka good and they are cheap enough you can get a dozen and if they scratch toss them. I ussually go through a pair a yr. And i use them to mow and weedeat too.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
I wear WileyX glasses as they let my eyes breathe but wont let the wind blow them dry. They also darken to sunlight conditions.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all for the replies! Great forum

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts