Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I was run off the road and received a nice little dent in my tank as a reminder. Im getting ready to paint now and have been toying with trying the old myth of dry ice. Its not a really deep dent and dont have any sharp edges or creases. Has anyone tried this method and if so how did it work / what process did you try Ive seen a couple.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,666 Posts
I've used an Ice cube wrapped in a wet white rag or a flannel shirt and a Heat lamp or a torch . Go easy with the heat there's a knack to doing this. if you don't do it right you'll burn the paint or discolor it . I've used a air hose a rubber soft plug and a blow gun to blow dents out of a gas tank if it isn't to bad.

Good luck go slowly trying this don't get in a Hurry

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
It works better on larger shallow dents. I popped one out of a neighbors car door, but there was still a visible crease in several areas around the circumference. It didn't do squat on hail dimples on my truck hood.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I have no experience with dry ice, but have had good results with "paintless dent removal". Not that I can do it personally, but there are people out there that specialize in this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Big John. I was able to get the dent out about 80% of the way. Very slow process but better then a done of body filler.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,666 Posts
cool I'm glad you got most of it out . As far as getting hail damage out of sheet metal is really tricky . best to practice on a junk roof or hood panel with a torch and wet white tee shirt with ice rapped in side .

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i had a dent in my tank(thanks to a mother effing powder coater) i just slapped on body filler and away i went. i will never get powder coating ever. mother betards

·
Registered
829 Posts
I bought one of those 'AS SEEN ON TV" dent poppers that uses the hot glue and the screw type puller. You have to go slow and do it several times across the dented area, but the results are pretty good. Careful prep is important and when the glue pops as it releases, there is no residue or damage to the paint. only works really well when the area is not severely creased on the edge.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I bought one of those 'AS SEEN ON TV" dent poppers that uses the hot glue and the screw type puller. You have to go slow and do it several times across the dented area, but the results are pretty good. Careful prep is important and when the glue pops as it releases, there is no residue or damage to the paint. only works really well when the area is not severely creased on the edge.
i tried that stuff ... didnt work maybe on thin metal but my tank nope didnt work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts