Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st a little background. I shot a lot of 35MM when I was younger. I loaded my own film, developed and processed my own stuff. I had a Nikon, a Pentax, and several lenses for each that all got stolen several years ago. So, I kind of got away from photography for a while.

I bought my wife a Nikon D5000 about 4 years ago and she has really enjoyed shooting with it. I cannot tell you how much I have spent on accessories from lenses to lighting to umbrellas to backgrounds etc. In the meantime, I have encouraged her desire to improve in the hobby, I've just been using a Sony DSC H-2.

Now, the photography bug has bitten me again, and I am looking for a good DSLR. I had been thinking I would stay with Nikon, to be able to share lenses with my wife, but in my shopping around, looking on Craigslist and eBay, it seems to me that Canon may very well be the way to go. It seems like for buying used accessories, there are more Canon and they are a little better priced than Nikon.

I would appreciate any input y'all have.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
For Christmas this year, the folks got me a Nikon J1 w/ 2 lenses (sold as a combo kit @ Sams Club). It takes some nice pictures. I was gonna take it back to Sams, b/c I needed the money instead of a camera (my iPhone 5 takes almost 10mp pictures and 1080p video by itself), but by the time I took it up there they wouldn't accept refunds on electronics beyond 30 days. I was really really pissed off and showed my ass in the store. But policy is policy. So I took it back home, and there she sits in the box....

I have no need for it but I have a brand new really nice camera. :laugh:laugh:laugh

I don't go out and just take pictures, so I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it...Guess Just re-gift it to someone else later on down the road. :laugh

·
Registered
395 Posts
Like you, I am an old 35mm guy. From my first Nikkormat (1972), I've stayed with Nikon, not only for the lenses, but you get to know where things are, and the models don't change that much from one to the next.

I've always hated the DX format and the 1.5 increase in the lens focal length. But now, Nikon has the D600, which is an FX and also, somewhat in the consumer price range. I'd give it serious thought since you can use your wife's DX lenses if they're not too wide angle.

I really like my D600.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like you, I am an old 35mm guy. From my first Nikkormat (1972), I've stayed with Nikon, not only for the lenses, but you get to know where things are, and the models don't change that much from one to the next.

I've always hated the DX format and the 1.5 increase in the lens focal length. But now, Nikon has the D600, which is an FX and also, somewhat in the consumer price range. I'd give it serious thought since you can use your wife's DX lenses if they're not too wide angle.

I really like my D600.
We had a hard candy Christmas the year I was 16. Dad gave me his Nikon Nikkormat that he loved, because he couldn't afford anything else. Thus began my love of photography. That camera was a work horse!

I'll look at the D600. I was really wanting to get away from the DX format also. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have a Canon T2i and a friend has the T3i. We both love them. You can use either the old 35mm film lenses or the newer digital lenses on them. I had an older Canon Rebel with a 35-80mm zoom lense and a 80-200mm zoom lense that work AWSOME on my newer T2i.

They take 1080p digital video and 18 megapixals will give you some of the best pictures you will ever see. The only difference between the T2i and the T3i are minimal when it comes to features and big when it comes to price. The T3i has a LCD screen that has the ability to be flipped out while the T2i does not.

Nikon is nice but you will get more bang for your buck if you go with a Canon.

·
Registered
38,946 Posts
Also take a look at the Nikon D800/D800E. Next step above the D600 in the FX format.

·
Registered
395 Posts
BTW, the D600 is 24 megapixel and it takes movies too (although I use my GoPro for movies). I also like the (optional) remote control shutter release (ML-L3).

As far as Nikon vs. Canon, whenever I'm in that discussion, I say that, in my case, both are better than the operator behind them. Canon and Nikon leapfrog over each other. Canon will come out with some new feature, and will be considered the best. Then, Nikon will come out with some new feature, and will be considered the best.

Not knowing Canons, I don't know if they have an affordable FX yet, but if they do, go to your camera store and get the feel of each. The decision should be fairly easy.

Nikon D600 Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 | Nikon D600

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only problem I see with either the D600 or the D800 is the price. You don't seem to find many of them used, yet and the $2000+ price tag for the D800 camera body only is a little steep. And pretty much the same price for the D600 with a kit lens. I may have to stay DX for a little while in order to get more of the lenses I want. And I will definitely check out the T2i and T3i. I have seen some pretty decent prices used on them.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,363 Posts
Back in the days when I was still diving, I used both Canon and Nikon (Nikonos) for underwater photography and both gave outstanding results. Both equally simple to use with their own little idiosyncrasies, and given a choice, I'd call it a tossup. I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with all the bells and whistles now and am quite happy with the results I am getting.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a Nikon D5000 as well, really like it, to bad I really don't know what the heck I'm doing with it.....
Have ya looked for used bodies? This way you could share lenses?

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Check out B&H Photo and Video. They have the best prices, website and customer service of any company I've ever dealt with.

I know a couple photographers selling their D700 and 800's because the file sizes are so huge that storage becomes an issue.

Before I recommend a camera, I ave to ask a question.

Do you an on playing with lighting, focal length, lenses, etc? Or are you just looking for a bad ass camera that takes bad ass pictures?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I'm gonna rock the boat and throw out Olympus. Less resolution and harder to find, but the 4/3 lens mount means a shorter, lighter lens for the same effective lens length.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
395 Posts
Check out B&H Photo and Video. They have the best prices, website and customer service of any company I've ever dealt with.
B&W sells at retail prices that are not discounted. Sometimes, you can get free shipping. Plus, no sales tax outside of NY.

I do agree that they have fantastic customer service. I have returned a couple of items in the past, and they sent me pre-paid UPS labels and gave me total credit for my purchase.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

I know a couple photographers selling their D700 and 800's because the file sizes are so huge that storage becomes an issue.

Do you an on playing with lighting, focal length, lenses, etc? Or are you just looking for a bad ass camera that takes bad ass pictures?

B&H has always treated me well. I know I am not discussing the leval of camera you are talking about, but choose to purchase from my local shop for the body and basic lenses. Maybe you can hook him up with a good deal on a D700 or 800 if someone has one laying around... :thumbsup What do you shoot with?

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
B&H have the best prices you can find from legitimate sellers. I have made a fair amount of coin from my cameras and you are right, canon has better offerings at better prices. Are they better? Not sure about that, I have used high end stuff from both.
A used Canon 5DMKII is a great choice to begin with.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
D90 and I love it. However, the 7000 has a better low light sensor. It came out very shortly after ingot my 90.

Story of my life.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Nikon D5000 as well, really like it, to bad I really don't know what the heck I'm doing with it.....
Have ya looked for used bodies? This way you could share lenses?
Yes I have/am. That is part of the reason for this thread. If I'm digging a hole I want to stop. If It's an even up thing, I'll dig deeper.

Short answer: YES.

As far as simplicity and being able to just point and shoot, her D5000 does ok. It is cumbersome to start jacking with F-stops and shutter speeds. Especially if you want to mess with both at the same time. It is easy to set shutter priority or focal priority, but not both. I didn't even know it was possibleuntil about a year ago. (Neither do most camera shops or Nikon techs, because they I told me it wasn't.)

Remember, I come from a film background and those cameras were easy to set f-stops and shutter speeds quickly and be able to bracket pictures in multiple ways.

Summary: I want a bad ass camera that takes bad ass pictures the way I want them. And, if I'm in too big of a hurry, or too lazy, I want to be able to go full auto on their ass :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you have a Nikon in the family, stay with that. All the lenses will fit all the bodies. May to manual focus and hand held meter. Wish I had stayed with Nikon, I was familiar with it. Broke my 70-200 2.8. too much to fix. Since I was thinking about upgrading, I switch to Canon for what I could afford. Had to switch my Nikon items anyway since the body I wanted would not totally function with new body. Both are great, just have to learn all the Canon workings now.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
D90 and I love it. However, the 7000 has a better low light sensor. It came out very shortly after ingot my 90.

Story of my life.

Nice... I'm so low on the totum pole I think over devoloped is a 18 year old with a full rack :rofl::rofl::rofl:
At this time of my life my camera is way more advanced then me:rollin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts