Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading another threa (red key light) I decided to check for codes just cause. No issues that I am aware of. I get a P 0134 code, front o2 senser open or not responding. I reset it run the bike a few minutes and recheck, it is back. Need to do some research .....

·
Registered
37,005 Posts

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kainam. I will need to try swapping front to rear connectors as was suggested to him. Low on free time though supposed to ride it to Nags head Saturday. Did 200 miles Sunday no issues but dang it now I know....

For the record I have the Cobra fi2000 same as Pipe, SE AC, and Rush big louies

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2013 flhtk

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if he caught his earlier, would I not also have a P0131 in history?

·
Registered
37,005 Posts
I would have thought so.

Thinking that there would be a low output, before no output.... not always I suppose.

The diagnostic process of swapping the sensors suggested by Schmidty in Pipe's thread is a good one. :thumb

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
if he caught his earlier, would I not also have a P0131 in history?
Not necessarily. Failure of parts like that is pretty unpredictable. And, if it is a frayed or burnt wire on the connecting harness, it would probably be instantaneous.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks both of you. Since there is a front and a rear (right next to each other) and I did not have a CEL while riding, other than curiousity to check it how would I have known and what does the front sensor do? what are the effects if I have to drive it a couple hundred miles before I can have it resolved?

·
Registered
37,005 Posts
Should have a check engine light if it was a current problem.

Try clearing the code and see if it recurs.

If the code does not return, then it was just a historical code and nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Thanks Kainam. I will need to try swapping front to rear connectors as was suggested to him. Low on free time though supposed to ride it to Nags head Saturday. Did 200 miles Sunday no issues but dang it now I know....

For the record I have the Cobra fi2000 same as Pipe, SE AC, and Rush big louies
If you need one I have a couple in my garage spares.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . other than curiousity to check it how would I have known and what does the front sensor do? what are the effects if I have to drive it a couple hundred miles before I can have it resolved?
The o2 sensor does what it sounds like. It senses the o2 levels in the exhaust. Since oxygen is consumed with combustion, an o2 level too high can indicate a lean condition. That is, there wasn't enough fuel to consume it all. It also uses other data such as exhaust temp, etc to predict a rich condition.

It sends this info to the ECM and the EFI controller can then regulate the fuel output.

Worst case is that it could cause the bike to run too lean or too rich. If it was running too lean, it would be lethargic and the engine would run very hot.

If it was running too rich, you would probably smell it in the exhaust.

If the bike is running okay, it was probably a temporary issue and not a failing sensor.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PM sent

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The o2 sensor does what it sounds like. It senses the o2 levels in the exhaust. Since oxygen is consumed with combustion, an o2 level too high can indicate a lean condition. That is, there wasn't enough fuel to consume it all. It also uses other data such as exhaust temp, etc to predict a rich condition.

It sends this info to the ECM and the EFI controller can then regulate the fuel output.

Worst case is that it could cause the bike to run too lean or too rich. If it was running too lean, it would be lethargic and the engine would run very hot.

If it was running too rich, you would probably smell it in the exhaust.

If the bike is running okay, it was probably a temporary issue and not a failing sensor.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
thanks. It ran pretty hot a couple times after I changed the slip ons buts seems normal now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts