Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my calipers today and dropped my front tire out of my 99 Low rider and upon the reinstall I went to spin the tire and the pads scratch the rotor a bit. I dont remember if they rubbed before i undid it all or not. is there suppose to be a little bit of drag on the rotors from the pads or did they compress a bit when removed? The pads are almost new so I know those dont need replacing. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
556 Posts
The brake pads will float on the disk. The don't push back completely into the calipers unless a disk is warped. So you will get a small amount of rub but nothing to prematurely wear them out. Over a few revolutions they will work back in a small amount.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The disk isnt warped they were working just fine before i put it on the lift and dropped the tire. I just dont remember it sounding like that. So you are suppose to hear a little metal on metal scraping?

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
The pads will drag against the rotor. If they don't there's something wrong.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The disk isnt warped they were working just fine before i put it on the lift and dropped the tire. I just dont remember it sounding like that. So you are suppose to hear a little metal on metal scraping?
Are you SURE it's metal scraping on metal? If so, you need to look close and find out what's wrong. But if it's just the pads dragging a little on the rotors you're fine. While actually riding, they drag for a few seconds after releasing the brakes then quit dragging. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah its gotta be just the pads dragging cause i dont see where there would really be any metal on metal contact. The more i move the bike around in the garage it seems to get better too and my brake lever feels the same so im pretty sure everything is right. I was just worried there for a bit cause like i said i dont remember it doing that when i first jacked the bike up

·
Registered
563 Posts
Get some brake cleaner and clean the rotors off real good. Probably some sand or grit got on them when you had the wheel removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts