Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,203 Posts
KillaCycle electric motorcycle breaks eight second quarter mile at 168mph

How about this? From that same site.

November 15, 2007 Upping the grunt to 500 horsepower courtesy of new 186 pound "nanophosphate cells", the KillaCycle has reached speeds of 168mph in becoming the first electric-vehicle in history to enter the “magic sevens” in the quarter mile.

The KillaCycle made two runs of 7.824 and 7.991 seconds (with a 0-60mph time of under one second) at the All Harley Drag Racing Association (AHDRA) California Bike Week event last weekend at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, California.

The new official quarter mile record of 7.991 seconds is the sixth occasion KillaCycle has set a new world mark.

"I knew it was a fast run, but we all were completely blown away when the board lit up with 7.82 @ 168 mph," said Bill Dube, owner of the KillaCycle. "The spectators didn’t clap or cheer but simultaneously let out a revenant, hushed, low-pitched “whooooa” when the board lit up."

The new battery pack from A123Systems delivers more than 500 horsepower via 1210 A123 Li-Ion "nanophosphate cells" weighing 186 pounds, 21 pounds heavier but with 150hp more power than its predecessor.

Other recent improvements that led to the milestone time include newly tuned power electronics, augmented gearing and a larger larger 27” tire.

See the KillaCycle website for more pics and a video of the record breaking run.

Further reading:

Killacycle nearly lives up to its name

500 bhp battery-powered Killacycle

Tags
Battery Electric Vehicles
Electric
Electric Motorcycle

Attachments

·
Steve
262 Posts
I think I'm coming down with a bad case!

It wont cost me anything because I am sending the bill to slammedv.

http://www.gizmag.com/ducati-debuts-1098r-superbike-with-historic-1-2-victory/8876/
:eek::eek::eek::rofl::rofl:

As Steve said earlier it is a fever with only one cure. I have had three types of Ducati's a naked bike (M-900 Monster), a Sport Touring bike (ST4S) and a true sport bike (999). Loved them all for different reasons. There was a time I tried to get down to one bike and chose my Road King to be the one I decided to sell both the Monster and ST4S and regretted it the minute I heard them drive away from the house. I promptly started my search for another and found a really cherry low mileage 999 and bought it. I am not sure what it is about Ducati's that draws me to them. Maybe the low end grunt of the "L" twin motor, or the unmistakable sound of the dry clutch or the exhaust note. Take a look around as there are some deals out there if your patient.

Oh and regarding sending me the bill:bat:bat :D

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about this? From that same site.

November 15, 2007 Upping the grunt to 500 horsepower courtesy of new 186 pound "nanophosphate cells", the KillaCycle has reached speeds of 168mph in becoming the first electric-vehicle in history to enter the “magic sevens” in the quarter mile.

The KillaCycle made two runs of 7.824 and 7.991 seconds (with a 0-60mph time of under one second) at the All Harley Drag Racing Association (AHDRA) California Bike Week event last weekend at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, California.

The new official quarter mile record of 7.991 seconds is the sixth occasion KillaCycle has set a new world mark.

"I knew it was a fast run, but we all were completely blown away when the board lit up with 7.82 @ 168 mph," said Bill Dube, owner of the KillaCycle. "The spectators didn’t clap or cheer but simultaneously let out a revenant, hushed, low-pitched “whooooa” when the board lit up."

The new battery pack from A123Systems delivers more than 500 horsepower via 1210 A123 Li-Ion "nanophosphate cells" weighing 186 pounds, 21 pounds heavier but with 150hp more power than its predecessor.

Other recent improvements that led to the milestone time include newly tuned power electronics, augmented gearing and a larger larger 27” tire.

See the KillaCycle website for more pics and a video of the record breaking run.

Further reading:

Killacycle nearly lives up to its name

500 bhp battery-powered Killacycle

Tags
Battery Electric Vehicles
Electric
Electric Motorcycle

Now thats a way I could go green and do my part.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:eek::eek::eek::rofl::rofl:

As Steve said earlier it is a fever with only one cure. I have had three types of Ducati's a naked bike (M-900 Monster), a Sport Touring bike (ST4S) and a true sport bike (999). Loved them all for different reasons. There was a time I tried to get down to one bike and chose my Road King to be the one I decided to sell both the Monster and ST4S and regretted it the minute I heard them drive away from the house. I promptly started my search for another and found a really cherry low mileage 999 and bought it. I am not sure what it is about Ducati's that draws me to them. Maybe the low end grunt of the "L" twin motor, or the unmistakable sound of the dry clutch or the exhaust note. Take a look around as there are some deals out there if your patient.

Oh and regarding sending me the bill:bat:bat :D
Well Slammy,
The closest I've come to a Ducati was last year while upstate New York. I met up with a group of people and we went on a run. There was 2 softtails, my DX, a Buell and a Ducati. I wish I knew what model it was but I remember looking it over and admiring the inovative designs. One that stood out was the neck bearings for the triple trees was fatter than any I have ever seen. The over all look is very impressive to me without understanding exactly why.
Anyway after reading about your almost bike and this article above, I'm starting but just starting to get serious. My problem is I love the latest and greatest so It would have to be new or very close to new.
Are you sure you wont consider at least paying part of the bill? :rofl:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So Slammy, Hows your 2008 MV Agusta F4312R treating you??????????

·
Steve
262 Posts
Ah, very nice so far. Only have had a chance to ride it around the block a few times. I'm at my Reno office this week and the bike is in Sacramento but I will give it a complete shake down this weekend. Definately different than the Ducati but I like the difference so far. Very quick revving (to 15,000 RPM). Its hard to hang on. And best of all I got my insurance bill for the added bike and it was only a little over a $100 to add.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats great! Glad you like it so far. 15000 rpm. Yikes thats a screamer. Let us know your comments after the shake down if you dont mind. Ride safe and enjoy your new machine!

·
Registered
39,571 Posts

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
How bout now?

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
Yup, 2 rear Ducati 900ss heads (front turned backwards) on a HD Big Twin bottom end. Being built by a guy that goes by the name of Chrisbloke on The Horse BSC forums.

More Pics:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice! That takes a bit of talent to achieve. Looking at the dual air filter carb setup got me thinking. I know all of the Harleys have a single large air intake but when carbed are there two carbs or one?

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
All Harley carbureted street bikes came from the factory with a single carburetor with one exception..., the XR-1000 (1983 and 1984), a XLX Sportster that came with heads based on the XR series flat trackers that came with dual carbs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts