Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gentleman.

I have been riding a 05 S4R Monster for the past 2 years rain or shine. Its my daily commuter and I currently do not own a vechicle.

I have been seriously thinking about getting a more relaxed ride than my current bike. I am not to concerned about HP and Torque but I know my current bike is rated at 120hp and 80 Torque. As long as what ever Bike I get has enough power to hang on the freeway, pass cars etc.

How are the Nightsters as a daily rider. Is there anyone here who has come off a Sports Hyrbrid bike to a Harley and if so what are your experience with that?

It also appears that the harley gets upwards to 55mpg on the freeway which would be a nice improvement over my Ducati.

Hows the gearing on the Nighters. Do they have a broad power range and are they managable at slow speeds?

Last but not least the Ducati is rather exspensive to maintain. How the Harley's for that?

Thanks for your time in advance :ride

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome Nightman,

I would consider something from the Dyna family myself for a bit more Highway comfort. I love the look of the Nightster but think a Dyna (FatBob is my favorite) Fits nicely between Highway comfort but still sporty enough to be a good around town bike too.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Welcome NightMan. Good thoughts from Dave and EZE above. Duc rider here as well, but would note H-D I think offers a finer bike for what you are looking for. A test ride would be good. Keep us posted.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I owned an older Monster (2000?). I have to admit it wasn't my favorite bike. Just be aware that there is no Harley made the will feel normal after riding a Duc. That isn't bad or good for either bike, just is what it is, so consider that when you set your expectations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome Nightman,

I would consider something from the Dyna family myself for a bit more Highway comfort. I love the look of the Nightster but think a Dyna (FatBob is my favorite) Fits nicely between Highway comfort but still sporty enough to be a good around town bike too.

I think you are right :)

I when and sat on some Harley's today. I sure love the look of the Nightster but when I sat on the Fatbob I fell in love with the comfort. To bad I don't like the look as much but I do lots of Freeway riding.

I am afraid thats to much Bike for me in regards to weight. I am 5-4 and I weigh 190 Pounds.

I hope it wont get away from me to much in parking lots etc coming off a Bike 300 pounds lighter or so.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My Nightster's 1200cc shovels around 65-70 MPH, like it needs another gear - really it needs more air and fuel. Friends who've gotten the Stage 1 tune work done say 70 MPH turns into the optimal cruising speed afterwards. You can pull up to 25% more power out of a stock 1200cc, the dealer says.

And yes, the Nightster's rear suspension is a kidney buster at times but I love it that way!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I think you are right :)

I when and sat on some Harley's today. I sure love the look of the Nightster but when I sat on the Fatbob I fell in love with the comfort. To bad I don't like the look as much but I do lots of Freeway riding.

I am afraid thats to much Bike for me in regards to weight. I am 5-4 and I weigh 190 Pounds.

I hope it wont get away from me to much in parking lots etc coming off a Bike 300 pounds lighter or so.

Nightman,

One of the nice things about Harley is the low seat height. Not only does it look cool but if your not too tall then it is perfect.

I don't know if it's my computer or not but on the Harley site listed under "full specs" all the Sportster and Dyna seat heights were missing.

Anyway the added weight has it's pluses and minuses. The very fact that it's heavier is why it's more comfortable at highway speeds but there is a bit more bike to handle at slow speeds.

Either would be a great choice. You cant screw up this decision. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts