Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lower forks on my FXDL are stained and dull. Do they make any covers form them or any suggestions on cleaning them up? It's a grooved metal and not meant to be shiny, but they look bad. Not sure you can tell in these pix. dyna2.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
aircleaner.jpg Also, does anyone make a 95" or big bore air cleaner? I saw this one that was cool as well but can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
39,569 Posts
That air cleaner is a custom one made out of a panhead era derby cover.

There is no difference between 88", 96", 103" air cleaners.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
My lower forks on my FXDL are stained and dull. Do they make any covers form them or any suggestions on cleaning them up? It's a grooved metal and not meant to be shiny, but they look bad. Not sure you can tell in these pix. View attachment 310434

I want chrome lowers. This would be my excuse to get them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys... I may just polish them. I've never removed the lower forks on a Harley. I'm used to tearing into snowmobiles and cars. I better do some research before I dive in.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Thanks guys... I may just polish them. I've never removed the lower forks on a Harley. I'm used to tearing into snowmobiles and cars. I better do some research before I dive in.
I did not remove the lower fork legs on my FXD or FLHT to polish them.
Put the bike on lift and removed front fender, calipers and wheel. Then wrapped an old blanket completely around the tank and frame, and wrapped the cowbells in tape. Used Acetone on one bike, paint remover on the other bike to take the clear coat paint off (not powdercoated). Then did the polish. The fork legs compress enough with weight on them that you will never see the 1" of the very top that didn't get polished. Not a hard job, just tedious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found the air cleaner. chrome Jammer Derby . on Ebay etc... $112. Also going to get the blue drag specialties air filter for it to go with my blue paint.. :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
After a nice polish of the lower leg sliders try powder-coating with their new clear powder coat process that should protect that polished look for a long time . Disassembly is required however .

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've done a couple of pairs by hand using Semi-Chrome, available from almost any bike shop. Around ten bucks or a bit more per tube. Took me about six hours but no disassembly required. Came out looking like a mirror finish.... I could post a photo of it, but it's not a Harley and I don't want to get lynched... lol Semi-Chrome WORKS, and every time you use it, it comes out better....

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I've done a couple of pairs by hand using Semi-Chrome, available from almost any bike shop. Around ten bucks or a bit more per tube. Took me about six hours but no disassembly required. Came out looking like a mirror finish.... I could post a photo of it, but it's not a Harley and I don't want to get lynched... lol Semi-Chrome WORKS, and every time you use it, it comes out better....

Your right , and if you use it along with a buffing wheel on your electric drill you will be amazed ! Unfortunately it won't last very long unless you either paint them with clear lacquer or have them powder-coated with clear cote !

·
Registered
340 Posts
Chrome lowers are the chit. Makes a hell of a difference. It's on my list.
This ^.
My list includes new chrome triple tree also. My lowers still look good I just want chrome. I'll ride her this season then come winter 2015/16 downtime I'll put the shiny stuff on. Gonna order the parts soon that way since the parts will be sittin here I'll hafta do it.

·
old scoot coot
3,707 Posts
My lower forks on my FXDL are stained and dull. Do they make any covers form them or any suggestions on cleaning them up? It's a grooved metal and not meant to be shiny, but they look bad. Not sure you can tell in these pix. View attachment 310434
a product named colonel brassy. google it . a kid came up to me at at a gas stop and demonstrated it on the lowers. you dont even need a buffer just rub it a little by hand. it is made by vertex, an industrial metal cleaner. i have every polishing compound found in stores and ive never seen anything like it. 20 minutes and your lowers will look like chrome. tommy:biking:

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
a product named colonel brassy. google it . a kid came up to me at at a gas stop and demonstrated it on the lowers. you dont even need a buffer just rub it a little by hand. it is made by vertex, an industrial metal cleaner. i have every polishing compound found in stores and ive never seen anything like it. 20 minutes and your lowers will look like chrome. tommy:biking:

Sounds amazing. How long does it keep you shiny before its oxidation a go-go? Worth taking the coating off of stock lowers that look fine but I want more shine? Are they even coated or did I make that up?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Chief; The fork lowers are clear coated, but it is not powder coat like some say. Acetone (fingernail polish remover) will take it right off. As will oven cleaner or many other solvents. My buddy just polished the clear off of his lowers, but I think it's faster to strip it.
I polish my fork lowers once a year, and put carnuba wax on them. They stay nice.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Your right , and if you use it along with a buffing wheel on your electric drill you will be amazed ! Unfortunately it won't last very long unless you either paint them with clear lacquer or have them powder-coated with clear cote !
I NEVER had a problem with it as far as 'durability' goes. I stripped a lot of lowers with clearcoat on them that had anodized under the clearcoat, Semi-Chromed them, and sent them on their way. Maybe every three or four months give them a quick coat, takes ten minutes, and BETTER than before.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Chief; The fork lowers are clear coated, but it is not powder coat like some say. Acetone (fingernail polish remover) will take it right off. As will oven cleaner or many other solvents. My buddy just polished the clear off of his lowers, but I think it's faster to strip it.
I polish my fork lowers once a year, and put carnuba wax on them. They stay nice.
Just do not get those strippers on anything else....:eek:eek

1 - 20 of 27 Posts