Harley Davidson Forums banner

Dulled clear coat

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Kainam 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I bought a 2013 Limited last year after owning an 09 Street Glide. I bought a pair of cheap chaps from Leatherup. On both bikes, it looks like my legs rubbing against the tank in the chaps has dulled the clear coat. Anybody know if chaps can rub clear coat off, or is it more that whatever was on the leather has added a film onto the clear coat and it just needs polishing? Also, if it is a film on it, can anyone recommend a good polish for the tank? My paint scheme is the Black/Big Blue Pearl. Thanks a bunch. :biking:

#2 ·
I imagine you are scuffing the clear, however the clear is fairly thick and can be polished out.

Use a random orbital polisher with a finishing pad, and some Meguiars #3 Machine Glaze

#5 ·
I am not sure how willing you are to lose the chaps, but that would be the best way to avoid this problem in the future. Leather is very sticky and paint doesn't like it.

Also, as far as products go, I am a huge fan of Adams Polishes. Check em out online.

#9 ·
What I have is some swirl depth scratches I'd call it, in the clear coat and the black paint just makes them more noticeable. I've never really tried buffing , though I've seen it done with good results , as in no swirl marks on black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.