Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**EDIT** Not the D407, but the PT. D'oh!!! Would a mod please update my thread title - this is what I get posting before coffee!

Replaced my back tire over the weekend with the new police-issue Dunlop. Rode it to work this morning and didn't notice any difference in handling or "noise". I still have the "regular" Dunlop up front and unless something bizarre happens over the life of the back tire, will most likely switch when it wears out. We'll see if it can keep up with those Texas boys in the hill country!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Nice. It makes perfect sense. Most tires wear out in the middle before the edges.

Maybe they will extend the line to fit other bikes soon.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sidewalls stick out 1/2" beyond the rims... my friend says they are a BEAR to mount.

I've got pics and will upload 'em tonight when I get home (server at the office says "no no").

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
FWIW:
It's not a run flat per se.
The side walls are thicker to insure that the tire does not come off the rim when it goes flat.
Since it's police issue, not all of the HD dealers will sell them to the public.
I've got friends that run them and have never heard of any problems with them.
Be sure to post up and let us know if it lasts longer than the regular Lop's.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know people who would be alive today if the back tire had stayed on the rim... even if it's not a 'run-flat', it's a step in the right direction. Wonder why it's not more generally available?

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
I know people who would be alive today if the back tire had stayed on the rim... even if it's not a 'run-flat', it's a step in the right direction. Wonder why it's not more generally available?
Agreed. It is a step in the right direction.:)

·
Banned
2,820 Posts
**EDIT** Not the D407, but the PT. D'oh!!! Would a mod please update my thread title - this is what I get posting before coffee!

Replaced my back tire over the weekend with the new police-issue Dunlop. Rode it to work this morning and didn't notice any difference in handling or "noise". I still have the "regular" Dunlop up front and unless something bizarre happens over the life of the back tire, will most likely switch when it wears out. We'll see if it can keep up with those Texas boys in the hill country!
I was reccomended by a dealer to run that on the rear tire of my sidecar bike. And I do. Spose to be more durable blah blah blah. Figured couldn't help to try. Don't really notice a performance difference/

·
09 Ultra Classic
120 Posts
Hmmm, would make sense it's solo only since the police bikes would never be carrying passengers. According to a Dunlop rep they have a lower load rating....don't know, this is what I saw on another forum. So I would recommend doing some homework.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't carry passengers but do push it a tad... and travel with lots of stuff.

8,867 miles and the darn thing has hardly worn at all. Will need to change out the front pretty soon tho.

I love this tire.

·
when did it start 4u
2,051 Posts
Is it safe to have a passenger on with these tires or is it for solo riding only?
you cant ride two up with these, harley can NOT sell these to the public if you ride to up or can they sell a bike with these tires if you even mention two up riding, all dealers that deal with the P bikes know this , that is why you usually can not get them, they are a good tire and they are a big step in the right direction for tires now if they can just get it so that it can handle the extra weight of a passenger

·
when did it start 4u
2,051 Posts

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She's geared for acceleration ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Run Flats

Have been trying to get through to Dunlop regarding these issues:

1) They say "one up only" or these run flats are not designed to carry a passenger.

2) Is there a weight limit for these tires, how does it know the difference between a 350 lb. solo rider vs. a rider with a passenger that totals the same weight 350 lbs.

3) They are not true run flats, just have thicker walls, if your riding with a passenger, isn't some protection better then no protection as far as a blow out goes?

What are your thoughts guys..

·
kickstand grinder
1,549 Posts
Hey road king trooper-

You and your boys riding bikes for the man in Denver suck AZZ!!

Got a ticket from your boy on blue and silver scoot in thornton- said it was your turn- when everyone around me was doin 70 on I 25. Wish you punks didn't have badges..... punk F---kin weasels-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts