Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
old scoot coot
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
help harley gurus, im stuck on this. i took bike to car wash yesterday to wash off the bugs from colorado trip. it's the 17m8 ultra i just rode 1900 plus miles to the rockies and back. on the way home it started running rough then on one cyl only. i milked to end of my drive, another 4 miles or so. pulled in drive and wouldn't start. no codes. i figured i had got something wet maybe coil and connections. i took seat off and got the leaf blower and blew at coil and around that area. it then started and i pulled it down to shop and finished the clean up. restarted a few times to see that all was well, so i thought. anyway broke it out this morning and rode all around the area over to indy and back running errands. later this afternoon i had a dental in cherryvale so i fired it up and rode through town and it started running rough again, maybe one cylinder and died. i coasted into a parking lot and it would not restart. a little risky but i tried it anyway, i held the throttle wide open and the cyls flooded with fuel raw fuel running out the tail pipes and it tried to run. so i'm pretty sure i have spark but it will not start. still no codes. fuel pump cycles on when ign turned on. kill switch set to run. i don't even know where to start. i had to haul bike home. i think i have spark and fuel still no workie. where do i begin. can an ecm go belly up and not show any codes? it's an m8 with 42,000 miles.

·
old scoot coot
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
17 m8, 42,000 miles. wile cruising started running rough then died. no codes. will not restart. if i hold throttle wide open while cranking it tries to run but wont start. this pumps raw fuel out both pipes. risky but i think shows spark and fuel. this happened yesterday then later ran fine. rode it all morning and ran fine. then it happened again this afternoon and it won't restart. where do i begin?

·
old scoot coot
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't think so joe. over quarter tank left ran fine on first three quarters. also bad gas triggers a dtc code. i would start with cleaning the fuel injector servo but must consult manual. for me this is a head scratcher, especially running fine after first occuring then happening again with no restart. also no codes is a stumper.

·
Noel
10,756 Posts
Leak down and compression test, could ACR get stuck open?

·
weird member
3,133 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know a damn thing about modern FI type engines.

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
Registered
42,546 Posts
No codes?

·
Registered
42,546 Posts
Raw fuel out the pipe means no spark. But no spark should trigger a code.

Try pulling plug wires off coil and check for moisture?
Also check the wires for chafing.

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
old scoot coot
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Raw fuel out the pipe means no spark. But no spark should trigger a code.

Try pulling plug wires off coil and check for moisture?
Also check the wires for chafing.
this morning i went out to check basics fire, fuel and fire at the right time. i pulled plug rear cyl and grounded it to side of cyl. had fire and enough fuel for the plug to ignite the mixture while cranking. same front cyl. so i pulled air cleaner. and held throttle body disc open with a piece of hose. fired up and engine raced. tried again with disc closed, no startie. then tried with throttle cracked holding disc open a little. fired up and ran pretty ok. but was throwing unburned fuel out tail pipe and white smoke. so the cylinders are being flooded with too much fuel. but starts with throttle cracked to get some air. so i got fuel, way too much, fire and fire at the right time which kinda says ecm is working somewhat but telling throttle body to deliver too much fuel? still scratching my head.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,565 Posts
Test TPS

·
old scoot coot
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i went out this morning to check the basics. fuel, fire and fire at the right time. i took one plug at a time out and let it hang on wire grounded to side of cylinder and cranked throttle closed as normal. got fire and enough fuel in cyl for the plug to ignite the mixture through the open plug hole. same both cylinders. then i removed air cleaner and held throttle body flap open with a piece of hose. started and engine races of course. then tried it with thottle cracked, cracked open flap in tb. it started and ran pretty ok but throws raw fuel and white smoke out tail pipe. way too much fuel. like ecm is telling throttle body to deliver too much fuel. still scratching my head. wish i had a known good ecm to plug in to see what happens. i'll try cleaning ecm connector with electric cleaner and hope schmidty sees this.:p

·
old scoot coot
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok shows some codes now that i can get it started with throttle cracked. after starting the throttle response is normal but way too much fuel. codes are p1511 efi power management mode, p1514 air flow fault, p2101 efi motor circuit range performance(actavation error), p2105 ifi forced engine shutdown that must be historical cause it's running. i still havn't got a clue.

·
old scoot coot
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok got some codes now that i can start it with throttle cracked. p1511 efi power management mode, p1514 air flow fault, p2105 efi forced engine shut down, p2101 efi motor circuit range performance(activation error). still no clue where to go next.

·
Registered
25,567 Posts
ok got some codes now that i can start it with throttle cracked. p1511 efi power management mode, p1514 air flow fault, p2105 efi forced engine shut down, p2101 efi motor circuit range performance(activation error). still no clue where to go next.
Check the cable connections.
Make sure the harness isn't trying to unplug itself.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,565 Posts
Gotta be that fuel pack. That would be nice, so far as finding the issue goes. Not so nice if you have to buy a new one since they ain't cheap.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts