Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
You Got That Right!

I Service my own. With only 1000 easy miles. I changed all fluids, checked belt, tires, brakes, plugs and air-filter....and it didn't cost me nearly 300 bones to do it. I'm using AMSOIL Synthetic. What a great product. A little pricey, but everything that I've read, it's the best out there....

Regards,
Willy

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
They'll also check throttle cable play, clutch cable play and possibly check your tire air pressure, if you're lucky.
I took mine in for the 1000 mile (it was a couple years ago) and paid $150. They did change all the fluids, or at least told me they did. I also had a ton of play in my clutch and throttle, both adjusted during the service. I have done all my own service since then, was just chicken when I bought the bike and thought I should have the first one done by the dealer.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
My dealer changed oil adjusted cables replaced plugs adjusted primery chain repaired throttle cable. checked out my squaks the bike came back runing better, the 1000 & 5000 mi. check up came with the bike I'm sure I paid for them someware in the price of the bike. Oh ya it's a sporty don't know if that matters

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am fairly mechanically inclined however since my 2008 Dyna Super Glide was my first HD I decided to pay my dealer to perform the 1000 mile service. They replaced all fluids (I went with the synthetic), adjusted the clutch, brakes, primary drive belt, checked break fluid levels, checked all lights and made sure everything was in operating order and washed the bike. It was about $300. Told me I was good to go for about 5000 more miles until my next service was needed unless I have any problems before then. I could really tell they made the adjustments, clutch and brakes felt alot better. You are paying far more for the labor aspect than the actual supplies. With any service you just have to way your options, time has a relative value. My schedule has a tendancy to run tight at times so it was worth it to me to have the dealer perform the work. I may tackle it myself next time, we'll see. I was pleased.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Buy a repair manual from the factory. Not haynes or Chilton , or Motor manuals, they are crap. Get the factory manual, it'll tell you everything you need to check/adjust. Also you owners manual that you got with the bike has a list of things to check or change. It just isn't as detailed. I changed all of my fluids. I went with Mobil 1 synthetic for the engine. The trans got 80/90 weight hypoid gear oil. And then the primary was changed. The bike runs great and shifts smooth as silk.

Just follow the manual, and keep all of your reciepts for the parts/ fluids you buy.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I can't see or ever heard of a Harley dealer, or any brand dealer replacing a part that's rated for 16000+ miles at the 1000 mile service.

Changing the spark plugs, unless requested by the owner, or due to remapping, or needing a higher heat range (Owners who live in a colder climate usually require a hotter heat range, over guys that live in year round warm) doesn't benefit the owner, or the dealer.

I'm not saying it's not true....I just never heard of it, or there's more to the story.
No they told me when I baught the bike that they changed the plugs at a 1000 mi check up and on the recipt it listed the plug type, and that they changed them 6r12BUL. is this a hotter plug?

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
6R12 is the stock heat range HD plug for TC and 86+ Sportsters.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I'm trying to send a copy of the work order can't figure how to get onto the thread from my desk top

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
this didn't work

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I didn't pay for the plugs all I paid for was upgrade of oil and pick up and delivery of the bike. wish I could show you the work order. Lets face I'm a newbee can't debate tech. with you or even why this dealer did that or that dealer what, just know what I'm reading.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
If you didn't pay.........then, they probably have a service manager that doesn't believe in reinstaling old plugs, or your's were a tad fouled. It may be that simple.
If they were fouled, possible cause?

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Short drive.

Long idleing periods.

Starting the bike up numerous times with short runnings in between.

Mechanic that doesn't know what he's looking at.

Bad lighting.

Crappy fuel.

Air cleaner temporarily covered by the rider wearing a long, flowing gown that wrapped around the filter, smothering the engine for air..........

Don't lose sleep over it. ;)

They didn't do anything wrong, just unusual. Call them and ask them why they were replaced......see what they say.......
They told me when I baught the bike that they change the plugs automaticly. I didn't whant you to think I was b.s.ing you. I know that they insited on not reving engine for the 1st 500 mi. maybe I fouled the plugs

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Free....cool, oh wait..........i bet you payed for it somewhere in the sticker price.
I'll tell you exactly what I paid for the bike and what I got with it. I paid $10400.00 I got the 1000&5000 checkup they delivered it 20- 30 mi. to my house not sure on the distance. Installed a conector for my bat. minder, filled the tank. Gave me $200 off any merchandise I bought because I took the bike course up the street from them. Inspiction sticker T shirt, 15% off anything I bought in the store next two weeks, after purchase of bike, now I get 10% off any thing I buy in the store. oh ya the bike is a sportster low matalic red actualy its bugandy. How'd I do?

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
No dude....I never thought YOU were BSing me for a minute. I suspected the dealer did......but not you.

I just figured they TOLD you they swapped them out, and never did, charging you for them.

Like I said......don't sweat it.
ok Dave, to be honest after hearing about all these other dealers. mine sounds to good to be true, but he has a platinum rep, and his pricing couldn't be better, I went out of my way to buy from him.

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
I also went out of my way to buy my bike. I traveled 275 miles for mine. When I was researching dealers in my area, I found out that even though we have a HD factory in town, most of the factory workers will travel 65 miles when buying their bikes rather than buying them in KC (One family owns all the KC dealers).

I expressed my displeasure with the shoddy reputation of the KC monopoly on the new bike survey, and now we have a dealer with a good reputation within about 40 miles.

So, good dealers are out there. You just might have to do some research and drive a little farther to find them. And use your new bike survey to voice your displeasure with local dealers if they are shoddy, someone just might be listening if enough people do the same.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
All Hd 1000 Mile Sevices Are Free In The Uk....i Thought That Was The Same The World Over.....regards Potts
Well not here. Here if you don't get it in some deal with the bike it'll cost you 200 to 400 dollars.

It'll make you go nuts. :woo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts