Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 FXD Superglide and want to fit a fuel tank from one of the later fuel injected bikes such as a Street Bob. Can anyone tell me if the tank mounting points are the same? I know about the other differences. Just want to confirm mounting points. Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
237 Posts
Harley changed the Dyna frames quite a bit in the later years. The 2004 and 2005 frames where only made those 2 years. Pretty sure you may be able to use a tank from a bike up too 2003 though.

later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harley changed the Dyna frames quite a bit in the later years. The 2004 and 2005 frames where only made those 2 years. Pretty sure you may be able to use a tank from a bike up too 2003 though.

later,
KrustyTC
Thanks for the input. I noticed, by looking at the parts catalog, that they changed the rear mount on the frame in 2004. 2003 and back, the bolt went through the backbone. In 2004 they moved the bolt boss to the top of the frame backbone. I would assume the rear tank mounting tabs changed due to this modification. I know there was also a major frame change in 2006. Anyway, I acquired a tank from a '99 FXDWG, so I think it will work. If not, I'll make it. :)

Bob

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the input. I noticed, by looking at the parts catalog, that they changed the rear mount on the frame in 2004. 2003 and back, the bolt went through the backbone. In 2004 they moved the bolt boss to the top of the frame backbone. I would assume the rear tank mounting tabs changed due to this modification. I know there was also a major frame change in 2006. Anyway, I acquired a tank from a '99 FXDWG, so I think it will work. If not, I'll make it. :)

Bob
Make sure to post pics when you're done!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts