Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can be of assistance: I have just bought a second hand 2003 Dyna Low Rider - seems to be very well looked after and LOTS of chrome.
The problem is that when starting the bike cold, it idles as it should, but as soon as I ride a couple of km's, the bike does not ant to idle and when I close the throttle fully, the bike dies?

Any ideas?

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
That could be a number of issues. Leaking intake manifold seals will cause a lean condition and are known to cause idle problems. A dirty or mis-adjusted carb will cause idle issues. Failing to push the enrichener knob in after the engine is warmed up will cause an overly rich fuel mixture and can stall the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it helps anything: it has V&H pipes fitted and when decelerating slowly, it would all of a sudden out of the blue just give one massive backfire (like a cannon shot) - and it is not normal decel popping. It almost seems as if out of nowhere.

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
That miss could very possibly be the CKP.
The fuel smell could be coming from the tank vent.

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
Does your bike have an add on fuel management system ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about the add on fuel management system - although the previous owner did do a lot to the bike. How will I know and what is a CKP?

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
CKP is crank position sensor.
Look for a fuel pack module, usually mounted under the seat someplace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts