Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and I am hoping someone can help me as I really don't want to take my bike to the HD dealership. I have a 2004 Dyna Low Rider (FXDL). I have an intermittent power issue. When I turn the key on everything should power up where I can start the bike but it don't. I turn the key and the lights on the speedometer and tachometer light up and my horn works, but my headlights, tail light and blinkers don't work and no power to the start circuit. I say this is intermittent because if I turn the key on and off enough times (sometimes 20 times or more) I finally get power to start the bike. This is a pain when I am someplace and have to keep turning the key several times to get the bike to start. I just put a brand new battery on the bike and it has been on a trickle charger all winter. I pulled the seat off and look at the wiring harness mess and everything looks like it is connected and the ignition switch appears to be in place and don't move and all are wires connected. I know chasing an electrical problem is like trying to find a needle in a haystack but I am hoping someone else has had this problem and can give me guidance on where to start. Thanks.

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
I had a Dyna in my shop last summer with a similar problem, I had to replace the ignition switch to resolve it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, so I am assuming there is electrical contacts are not making and eventually I get lucky. Do you know where I can get an ignition switch for the dyna?

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
Can you verify where your bikes switch is located, by the fork neck or the right side cover ?

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
I got the switch for the Dyna I worked on from New Castle H-D, p/n 71428-90B. You also need your 4 digit key code that's stamped on the key, pull the plastic cover off the key.
If you contact a Harley dealer for the switch verify the part numbers match your bike model.
Also you can test the switch to verify it's function. Unplug the switch from the harness and test at the connector using you meter set to ohms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot. I think testing the switch is the best bet first before replacing.You have been a lot of help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tested the switch with my ohm meter in AUX and IGNITION and both positions there was continuity. I disconnected the female/male plug under the seat and wiggled the connections and all seemed tight. I put it all back together and the switch worked perfect. I let my bike sit for a few days (too rainy to ride in Georgia) and now I am having the same intermittent issue. Very frustrating. Any ideas? I have a hard believing the switch is bad as it would never work if that was the case. Thanks in advance.

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
It might be the starter relay located in the fuse block under the side cover that's acting up.

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
Also not sure if you know that the side cover just pulls off, no need to remove the screws.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I didn't. I never had to go into the fuse block before. Thanks for the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts