Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to help a fellow HD owner out and change the oils in his 95 Dyna Convertible and a 02 Wide Glide. Could you help me out with the oil amount needed for the engine, primary, and transmission for these bikes? How will I know when I have enough oil in the transmission and primary? I am going to use Amsoil 20-50 MCV in all 3 holes, has anyone done this, and are you satisfied? How long should he run this oil between changes? I would normally consult a manual but since I am only doing this as a friend, I don't want to buy two manuals just to help him out by changing his oil. Any help or advice would be real helpful.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Big Sarge
112 Posts
Bill,

I'm about to do the same thing, but I have a 95 Wide Glide. Looking at the Internet, I found that a 2006 Wide Glide takes 3 quarts. So that is what I will be buying. I want to do my Trans too, but unsure about that amount as well. I'll keep searching, and let you know.

Do you know where I can get a filter other than the dealer?

Semper Fi,

Mark

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Engine oil: 3 Qts.

Primary: 32-24 oz.

Trans: 24 oz.

You *can* run 20w50 in all three holes, but I prefer 75w140 synthetic in the trans. Smoother shifting and less noise.

I won't go into the other options, in order to keep it simple, but switching to a good synthetic for the engine and the primary is a good idea as well.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
.......*smack!!*..............

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Of note. If you can still round up the owners manuals on these bikes the info is in there too.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Of note. If you can still round up the owners manuals on these bikes the info is in there too.

Now.....why look there? Silly boy.................:rofl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
another thought...if you have a library near you, you can check out a manual, like Haynes.....those should have the info. you need...if your library doesn't have the year and type you need..they likely have a process where you can request they procure a book...where I live..they do and it works and saves buying a book I might not ever use again...you just need a title and author, etc..good luck

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
Engine oil: 3 Qts.

Primary: 32-24 oz.

Trans: 24 oz.

You *can* run 20w50 in all three holes, but I prefer 75w140 synthetic in the trans. Smoother shifting and less noise.

I won't go into the other options, in order to keep it simple, but switching to a good synthetic for the engine and the primary is a good idea as well.
Listen to Dave....:thumb:thumb:thumb

·
Registered
541 Posts
another thought...if you have a library near you, you can check out a manual, like Haynes.....those should have the info. you need...if your library doesn't have the year and type you need..they likely have a process where you can request they procure a book...where I live..they do and it works and saves buying a book I might not ever use again...you just need a title and author, etc..good luck
You're one of those cheap guys that rents videos from the library too, huh? :rofl: J/K

·
Big Sarge
112 Posts
Good point Res!! I'm the same way...I think it's a sickness....at least that is what the wife tells me, but it's funny that that point never comes up when she's on the back either...

:)

·
Big Sarge
112 Posts
By the way, I refilled with 3 quarts in the engine.....WAY too much!! Geez!! filled to the top of the fill point. Need to drain a bit...

Going to refill the tranny. I'll tell you what I find there too...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts