Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a sportster (883) and I really do love my bike. I'm a taller person at 6 feet and weigh about 200 lbs. I think I'm properly sized for the bike, but I'm told otherwise.. oh well..

that being said, I bought my sportster last year (2010 with 2000 miles) for a very good price and have been really enjoying her. I usually do shorter rides (I drive along the beach for about 20-50 miles then turn back around (longer trips around a lake in fl which is about 150 miles or so). I don't like getting on the highway with the sportster. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I had that 6th gear... I really don't like any distance on the highway because the wind takes it's toll me after a little while as I fight my entire body against it. It takes the pleasure of just riding for me.

A sportster does this job of cruising around, but I'd like to venture maybe going bit longer distances with other people.... I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger bike either. I'm content with the power my 883 has. I don't try to go crazy fast or accelerate like a mad man or anything. I just like cruising....

That being said, I've been looking at softails or dynas... I really wouldn't know the difference until I ride both (seems to be 50-50 on what people prefer) so I'm not asking about that.

What I am asking however is how people like the switchback. I thought it was a cool concept because it comes from the factory ready to be swapped from a cruiser to a tourer. It's almost what I'm looking for... I do like RKs and all, but I really enjoy having a cruiser style bike (I don't like the windshield and bags when I stay local). I can't have 2 bikes (no room left in garage) so I figured a bike that can do both sounds fun.

sooo... I just wanted to hear people's opinions on the switchback.

I don't plan on doing this upgrade if you will for another year or two, but it's fun to do the research. I plan on going to a demo ride thing in october to see if I can ride one.

Not sure if I can get a new one, but who knows... if my 2010 is worth at least 5K in a couple years, maybe I can do a new or a slightly used one (maybe '13 to '15)

what year should I be looking at? I'm not even sure when they came out. do say 2010s look much different than a 2014 or 2015? My 2010 feels like a brand new bike still... I don't mind getting something like that.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was in same boat as you, started off on 883 sportster custom. Wanted to tour a little. Chose Road King Custom. Love it. Windshield pops on or off in seconds depending on how I want to ride. Totally transforms look of the bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in same boat as you, started off on 883 sportster custom. Wanted to tour a little. Chose Road King Custom. Love it. Windshield pops on or off in seconds depending on how I want to ride. Totally transforms look of the bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
yes, but will a RK turn into a cruiser style bike?

Looks like a badass crusier with the naked look

add the stuff, and looks like a tourer!

how well does this windshield protect? torso only, or face too?

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
IMO I'd stay away from the Switchback. Bought one when they came out...sold it at 1,200 miles. Too much vibration for me. I'm 6' and 180 pounds and the bike felt "small." I'm now on a CVO Road King now and much happier. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMO I'd stay away from the Switchback. Bought one when they came out...sold it at 1,200 miles. Too much vibration for me. I'm 6' and 180 pounds and the bike felt "small." I'm now on a CVO Road King now and much happier. Good luck!
Don't they have good vibration isolation when moving? (all dynas)

what is the "CVO" in a harley? I see it mentioned but don't knwo what it is.

RKs are little too much money and gets away from the naked cruise bike thing I like. If I could have both, I'd keep my sportser and get a RK lol

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
CVO = Custom Vehicle Operations

It means that bike has some major factory upgrades directly from the MoCo (for instance a 110 motor instead of a 103). I don't know all the upgrades for each CVO bike. It also boosts the price in another stratosphere. For instance, the Street Glide Special is $22,900 and the CVO Street Glide is $36,400.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CVO = Custom Vehicle Operations

It means that bike has some major factory upgrades directly from the MoCo (for instance a 110 motor instead of a 103). I don't know all the upgrades for each CVO bike. It also boosts the price in another stratosphere. For instance, the Street Glide Special is $22,900 and the CVO Street Glide is $36,400.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
eh... I don't need anything like that. I really don't need the extra 'go' stuff. I put some pipes on it and maybe few other things.

I really want to try both these bikes out (softail and dyna) and see how they compare to my sportster.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a 1200 2002 sportster and I loved it till a deer totaled it
I upgraded to a 2012 switchback and I couldn't be happier.
It handles corners and rough roads better , is almost as fast between stop lights and will walk away from my sporty from 2nd gear on up.
2up riding it is better all around .
I do most of my rideing on pocono Pa. back roads where the sportster would grind the pegs my Dina goes through faster with less drama .
I got a 94 883 to play in town but I put more miles on the dyna .
I am 6ft 180 lbs and the switchback fits me fine and there are lots of Dina parts to change it up if you are not comfortable .
Ride as many different models as you can they all have a different feel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a 1200 2002 sportster and I loved it till a deer totaled it
I upgraded to a 2012 switchback and I couldn't be happier.
It handles corners and rough roads better , is almost as fast between stop lights and will walk away from my sporty from 2nd gear on up.
2up riding it is better all around .
I do most of my rideing on pocono Pa. back roads where the sportster would grind the pegs my Dina goes through faster with less drama .
I got a 94 883 to play in town but I put more miles on the dyna .
I am 6ft 180 lbs and the switchback fits me fine and there are lots of Dina parts to change it up if you are not comfortable .
Ride as many different models as you can they all have a different feel.
Thanks GG!

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
I have a 2012, bought new. Have 65K on it now. I never noticed any vibration problems like some others have talked about. I love it. I like the ability to transition from the bags and shield to a cruiser in under a minute. Has a classic, Duo Glide kind of look to it. Taking the bags and windshield off makes it feel like a completely different bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Little Help?

:biker:I just bought a 2013 "Used Switchback" only 1415 miles. I pick it up Wednesday. Havent paid for it yet...so a little help would go a long way before I spend my dollars......I was going to get a 2015 Street Bob...Still can....Any comments?

Two questions for anyone.

I will be buying the extended warranty. Only getting 5 years due to OEM out of term....The dealer wants $3000....That seems high to me?

Any problems that seem to be consistent with the switchback I should know.

·
Banned
71 Posts
:biker:I just bought a 2013 "Used Switchback" only 1415 miles. I pick it up Wednesday. Havent paid for it yet...so a little help would go a long way before I spend my dollars......I was going to get a 2015 Street Bob...Still can....Any comments?

Two questions for anyone.

I will be buying the extended warranty. Only getting 5 years due to OEM out of term....The dealer wants $3000....That seems high to me?

Any problems that seem to be consistent with the switchback I should know.
$3K for five years even with the tire and wheels, is too high . Shop around and you can get it in the $1500 -$2000 range .

You can buy the extended warranty from ANY Dealer, no matter what your Dealer is telling you . :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts