Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but here goes: I have a Dyna Low Rider currently. However, after putting 10k miles on it last year, I'm looking to move to something with some storage capacity, and longer range on the gas tank. My Dyna has a 4.2 gallon tank and I don't get much more than 120 miles on it. Would also be nice to have a 6th gear and fuel injection.

I'm looking at a 2012 Street Glide to replace my Dyna. I'm looking for any input from folks that have made this change. I love my Dyna, but I'm looking for something to do more long range trips with. Wondering if I will regret the move. I can't keep both bikes, so I'm hoping I won't regret the change.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Jp5882

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you can get the ultra not the street glide, you can add quick release on the tour pack and remove the lowers with 3 bolts and you have a street glide but it costs a lot more to add the tour pack after, plus you get the upgraded stereo, cb, and intercom on the ultra which well cost bug bucks to add to the street glide, more bang for your buck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tip! Is the frame and seat height similar on the Ultra as the Street Glide? Would actually like the tour pack for sure.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I have a 2009 Dyna Super Glide with 39k on it. It has had some work done to it like a D&D 2-into-1 pipe, Big Sucker intake and filter, and S&W Easy Start 551 cams. It has a 4.8 gallon gas tank and it gets around 48 mpg. I usually gas up around 200 miles but I can push it more than that if needed.

You can carry a lot of gear on a Dyna with just luggage. My rides can vary quite a bit in elevation, which means big temperature shifts. On my first spring ride this year the temperature varied from 87 degrees to 35 degrees. I often have to change gloves, jacket liners, chaps, etc, to adapt to the temperature. I always have luggage mounted to the sissy bar on the passenger seat. More luggage can be added to the luggage rack, if needed.

The late model Dyna's are great touring bikes. Their wheel base is as long as an Electra-Glide and they have great suspension travel, which translates into a very smooth, cushy ride. They have excellent ground clearance and their lean-angle is the same as a full height Sportster XL. The Dyna has the most excess electrical capacity of any Harley Davidson motorcycle. That means that you can put on a lot of electrical accessories and wear heated gear for winter riding without worrying about maxing out the alternator.

I'm not a bagger guy. I like a naked bike. I'm not into fairings either or fiberglass lowers. That just me. What is cool with a Dyna is that you can add luggage if you need it and take it off when you don't. I know quite a few Dyna riders who do the same with saddle bags - they put them on when they are going on a long trip then put them in the garage when they get home.

Dyna's are reasonably priced bikes that are a blast to ride and they still look like a motorcycle, not a suitcase with wheels.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
SG is 1" shorter

Thank you for the tip! Is the frame and seat height similar on the Ultra as the Street Glide? Would actually like the tour pack for sure.
If I'm not mistaken, the Street Glide is lowered 1". other wise the two bikes are pretty close to the same. same frame, motor, etc. agian, i'm pretty new to this, so I could have it off a little.

I bought my first bike in Aug '12, it was a fatboy lo, traded it in in Dec for a SG and have never looked back. now don't get me wrong, loved the fatboy and would still love to have it as a second bike, but the SG is so much more comfortable. plus you have the extra storeage, radio, etc. the extra gallon of gas was good as well and you will get and extra 2 gallons. That's another 60+ miles per tank

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2009 Dyna Super Glide with 39k on it. It has had some work done to it like a D&D 2-into-1 pipe, Big Sucker intake and filter, and S&W Easy Start 551 cams. It has a 4.8 gallon gas tank and it gets around 48 mpg. I usually gas up around 200 miles but I can push it more than that if needed.

You can carry a lot of gear on a Dyna with just luggage. My rides can vary quite a bit in elevation, which means big temperature shifts. On my first spring ride this year the temperature varied from 87 degrees to 35 degrees. I often have to change gloves, jacket liners, chaps, etc, to adapt to the temperature. I always have luggage mounted to the sissy bar on the passenger seat. More luggage can be added to the luggage rack, if needed.

The late model Dyna's are great touring bikes. Their wheel base is as long as an Electra-Glide and they have great suspension travel, which translates into a very smooth, cushy ride. They have excellent ground clearance and their lean-angle is the same as a full height Sportster XL. The Dyna has the most excess electrical capacity of any Harley Davidson motorcycle. That means that you can put on a lot of electrical accessories and wear heated gear for winter riding without worrying about maxing out the alternator.

I'm not a bagger guy. I like a naked bike. I'm not into fairings either or fiberglass lowers. That just me. What is cool with a Dyna is that you can add luggage if you need it and take it off when you don't. I know quite a few Dyna riders who do the same with saddle bags - they put them on when they are going on a long trip then put them in the garage when they get home.

Dyna's are reasonably priced bikes that are a blast to ride and they still look like a motorcycle, not a suitcase with wheels.
Thanks, Pete. My Dyna is a 2003 with a 4.2 gallon tank. I have S&S 510 cams (and upgraded to timing gears). Unfortunately, I'm lucky if I can now get 120 miles out of tank full of gas. The newer dynas have fuel injected motors with 6 speed transmissions and a larger tank. I have not ruled out buying a newer Dyna, as it does give me longer range. Your points give me more to think on.

Thanks again,

jp5882 (Jim)

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I moved from a Dyna Superglide to a Electra Glide Clasic to an Ultra that now looks like a Street Glide. Anyway, I did the change up because I was sick of strapping shite on all over the bike with a mound as tall as me. My only REGRET was getting rid of the Dyna.
Ultimately I would like to have a Superglide Sport and an Ultra. I think everyone should have 2 bikes, one for around town and one for touring. Oh and one for trail riding but Harley doesn't make a XR650L or an 900 Adventure.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have 2 touring models the 2012 SG for me only as it is setup for solo and a 2013 ultra limited that is "our" bike for us to ride together, my wife and I. I can tell you the mpg is awesome on both but the ultra is a couch compared to the SG. I did A short 680 mile trip on the ultra and didn't regret 1 mile. The SG would have been more fun on the dragons tail but that's a story for another day. The SG and Ultra are comparable in price. You could get a better deal on a ultra limited then a SG right now. My son did so much so that he traded his beloved vrod muscle in.

Good luck.

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 2 touring models the 2012 SG for me only as it is setup for solo and a 2013 ultra limited that is "our" bike for us to ride together, my wife and I. I can tell you the mpg is awesome on both but the ultra is a couch compared to the SG. I did A short 680 mile trip on the ultra and didn't regret 1 mile. The SG would have been more fun on the dragons tail but that's a story for another day. The SG and Ultra are comparable in price. You could get a better deal on a ultra limited then a SG right now. My son did so much so that he traded his beloved vrod muscle in.

Good luck.

Thanks. Now you got me thinking some more!
I'll definitely check into the Ultra Limited. Thanks again.

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts
I just got a '13 Street Glide myself.

Thought hard about the EG Classic, since its actually $100 cheaper than a SG...if you can find one. In the end, I just didn't want all the chrome and stuff. When I looked at the two in the flesh, the Street Glide just looked right - if you know what I mean.

Its a little irritating to have to pay a premium for less equipment (tour pack) and trim, but that's supply and demand for ya'. Street Glide is the most popular Touring model they make, so you gotta pay to play, I guess. My wife doesn't ride much and I'm not at the point where I think I need to take everything I own with me on my motorcycle, so the tour pack wouldn't get much use anyway.

Good luck in your search.

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a '13 Street Glide myself.

Thought hard about the EG Classic, since its actually $100 cheaper than a SG...if you can find one. In the end, I just didn't want all the chrome and stuff. When I looked at the two in the flesh, the Street Glide just looked right - if you know what I mean.

Its a little irritating to have to pay a premium for less equipment (tour pack) and trim, but that's supply and demand for ya'. Street Glide is the most popular Touring model they make, so you gotta pay to play, I guess. My wife doesn't ride much and I'm not at the point where I think I need to take everything I own with me on my motorcycle, so the tour pack wouldn't get much use anyway.

Good luck in your search.
Enjoy the Street Glide! I just blew it. Was watching a 2012 black SG with 1300 miles on it at a local dealer. It was selling for $18,900. I hesitated and now someone else bought it.

I think part of my hesitation is that my wife feels my Dyna is more "badass" (her description). She thinks anything with a fairing is too "old manish" (again, her description). Well, hell, I'm almost 53 any way! And besides, most of the folks I ride up to on SGs are in their 30's these days. I think I'm gonna have to rent one and put her on the back. I have a feeling her mind will quickly change. Either way she's supporting my decision (part of the reason I've been married to her for 31 years), but I also want her to be happy too.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
109 Posts
You need a Dyna Switchback . :think
103 Fuel injected - 6 speed - everything is quick detach ,
I luv mine :thumbsup

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts
Enjoy the Street Glide! I just blew it. Was watching a 2012 black SG with 1300 miles on it at a local dealer. It was selling for $18,900. I hesitated and now someone else bought it.

I think part of my hesitation is that my wife feels my Dyna is more "badass" (her description). She thinks anything with a fairing is too "old manish" (again, her description). Well, hell, I'm almost 53 any way! And besides, most of the folks I ride up to on SGs are in their 30's these days. I think I'm gonna have to rent one and put her on the back. I have a feeling her mind will quickly change. Either way she's supporting my decision (part of the reason I've been married to her for 31 years), but I also want her to be happy too.

Thanks for the input!
"If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" that's one of the fundamental truths of marriage. If you've been married 31 years, you've probably figured it out too ;-)

My wife supported me in my SG too. Guess we're lucky to have them.

·
Banned
853 Posts
Have owned a wide glide and a street glide. Am now on a road glide. The street is sweet. More nimble than you think. You can trick them out a little at a time to satisfy your wifes desire for a meaner look. They ride like you're in a lazyboy recliner. Said id never own a bagger.
Now ill never be without one. I also own a rocker c. Have owned a couple of softail customs.
Bottom line : buy a bagger. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Have owned a wide glide and a street glide. Am now on a road glide. The street is sweet. More nimble than you think. You can trick them out a little at a time to satisfy your wifes desire for a meaner look. They ride like you're in a lazyboy recliner. Said id never own a bagger.
Now ill never be without one. I also own a rocker c. Have owned a couple of softail customs.
Bottom line : buy a bagger. You'll be glad you did.

+1 on this post. I concur 100%!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I owned 10 Fatboy Lo for 2 years and ended up switching to 12 SG. Fatboy is cool and mean looking bike and was good for short day rides around the town. When I started to travel long distances on bike, it started to be a little less than desirable. Although, there were few options but I never like the looks/functionality of any after market bags or passenger seat options for it.

I took a 11 days, 3200 mile trip to Canada last summer shortly after I bought the new SG with full camping gears on it. I never looked back since...

SG is feels little heavier and bigger than fatboy but still it is fast and nimble enough around town for a quick six pack shopping. I even take it to the golf course for the weekends. 8)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I traded my 01 RKC on a 12 SG. Love the looks. You might have to put a different seat on the SG because (I was informed) the passenger seat isn't very comfortable. I haven't changed mine yet. I love my SG. It's great on the highway and easy to handle in town. I did upgrade the headers to VH true duals with rinehart slips a stage 1 big sucker and a SE race tuner. Also I ditched the stack bars for 13" high 37" wide bars.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That's actually some good points. I actually wanna get a Streetglide and add a tour pack also.

I didn't know you could get a quick detach for the Ultras. I'll have to look into this.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I got the quick detach for my 12 Ultra because I like the look of the bike without the tour-pak and wanted the option to take it off. But honestly I've only taken it off once just to see what it looks like. I am spoiled by the extra storage so hate to take it off. But it is nice having the option.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts