Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for taking some time to read my post.

My 8-year motorcycle career has consisted mostly of sport bikes, until I rode my buddy's sportster with mini apes and forward foot controls. Fell in love with the reclined, relaxed position and v-twin rumble and torque. After some research and test riding I'm pretty sold on the wide glide. Was thinking of buying new but I found a 2012 nearby with 600 miles, mint condition with screamin eagle intake and vance and hines big radius 2-2 exhaust - installed with re-mapped ecu by local HD dealer.

The conundrum I've run into is that the brand new wide glide I test rode at the dealership felt quite a bit faster than the 2012 I mentioned (I think! there were a few days between riding the two bikes so I didn't get on one right after the other). I remember feeling thrown back in the seat, feet being pulled off the pegs a little and having to hang on to the handlebars. This sensation wasn't nearly as strong when I rode the 2012 I mentioned. I am trying figure out if the difference in the way the bikes felt is all in my head or if it's possible that two bikes which are theoretically the same could feel so different (actually the mods on the 2012 should give it a little more oomph). Is it possible that each 103 comes out of the factory a little different? Also, for the argument of the "in my head" point of view: I test rode the new wide glide immediately after riding a softail breakout, the difference between them was night and day, maybe that's why the wow factor of the wide glide was so much more powerful that day.

I'd really like to go with the 2012 and save about $7,000, but not if this feeling of uncertainty is in the back of my head for the next 20 years...

Sorry for the long story, but thanks so much for any input you may have!

Jesse

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know the 2012 has been sitting all winter and not ridden much last season. It's possible that the gas has been sitting in the tank for a year. Maybe they put high octane in the one at the dealership... Could this make a noticeable difference? Another thing to mention which probably isn't relevant to my question is that my feet were tingly from engine vibration after a 5 minute ride on the 2012, didn't happen on the new one.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I have a 2012 WG. It has the same 103 engine as the new ones. The 2012 you are looking at should be faster with the changes they've made compared to the new one. One of the "advantages" the new one has is ABS brakes. $7000 is a lot to save. Good luck either way and welcome. Here's a pick of my 2012

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Chopper

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
welcome to the forum
they should be almost the same don't think gas would make a difference
depending on the dealer you might shave a little off the 7000
but check in to a warranty on the 2012 and see if it has any extras stage 1 pipes or other add on

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Two real good reasons to buy that new one . And the price difference is worth it . Other wise you will not be able to enjoy the used one due to the vibration & the loss of acceleration . It only cost a little more to go first class !
Welcome to "THE FORUM" !

P.S. - Oh , and don't forget that the new one comes with a warrantee !

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Greetings from the Left Coast. Those vibes would give me reason to be concerned. Engine is rubber mounted and should be smooth. I feel next to nothing on my son's Fatbob.

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
It is all about in your head ... try once more and decide what to do ... If you would be happy with 2012 or not ... For me it is all in my head ... If I feel the bike than I can not compare with something newer or something different ... Sory but I can not help you :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Question $7k difference does that include the upgrades? Also for that price difference sounds like they did a remap. Why not do a tuner. The vibrations I'd look at the motor mounts. I'd rather save the money. Like someone said ride the one to the dealership our Indy and have it looked over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, I decided to go brand new. Wasn't really into the pipes/intake he had on the 2012 so I kinda wrote off that $2000 savings. And the dealer gave me $1000 towards add-on's, getting 12" apes, saddlebags and a windshield. I guess everyone values the peace of mind of a brand new machine and being the original owner differently, I think I'm glad I went new. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, I decided to go brand new. Wasn't really into the pipes/intake he had on the 2012 so I kinda wrote off that $2000 savings. And the dealer gave me $1000 towards add-on's, I'm getting 12" apes, saddlebags and a windshield. I guess everyone values the peace of mind of a brand new machine and being the original owner differently, I think I'm glad I went new. Thanks again!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have found myself thinking the same thing in the past, where
a new bike with stock configuration seemed faster than a similar model
a year or two older with mods.

For me, it was the quiet exhaust that made me roll on the throttle more
than with the loud pipes. And that made it seem more powerful, yet
when I really rolled on the throttle with the loud pipes, it clearly was
the same performance by the seat of the pants dyno...

The only real way to see how the 2012 performs is to dyno it, you'll
see the numbers and they'll tell you for sure.

Good Luck!

Woops, I see you've taken care of that problem...
Congratulations!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.