Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading through the fuel forum and have learned enough to think that I have a basic understanding of the Stage I mods and what effect they might have on the EFI system and the need to tune it properly.

I bought a 2006 Fatboy that has a Big Sucker air cleaner and python pipes. Love the sound and the bike definitely has some power, although since I haven't ridden for a number of years I don't have a lot to compare it to.

Based upon what I have read in these forums it does seem that the tune may not be as good as it could be. I get a lot of pop on decel and every once in a while some slight backfire.

I don't think I know any where near enough to start messing with tuning so I'm thinking I might want to find a good dyno shop and let them have at it.

Which brings me to the point. I have read several posts and my own experience in general suggests that not all dyno shops are created equal. So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest some things to look for or questions to ask to determine if the dyno shop is not going to waste my money.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
This can get real complicated. First thing you need is something to add more fuel. There's dozens on the market from $100 - $600. With stock engine components (cams, pistons), you are not going to get much more horsepower/torque from Dyno tuning with any of the fuel packs. But the bike will run better and cooler. When you add a good cam, compression, head work, etc. then the dyno operator can earn his money by fine tuning the fuel and spark tables. A good Dyno operator spends half a day on a bike. Many so called tuners, make two runs, call it tuned and collect your big check. Ask around for satisfied customers from a dyno tuner. Talk to him/them then my opinion is to buy the fuel system the dyno operator recommends and is familiar with. You will get a better tune if he has experience with that system.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking to make any changes to the engine until I learn more. The bike came with the air filter and pipes and for now that's all I want. But it does seem like I should not get that pop on decel and I want to get rid of that. I don't believe that I know enough to get a tuner and do it myself. That's why I'm thinking dyno. But I'm open to suggestions if this doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Been reading through the fuel forum and have learned enough to think that I have a basic understanding of the Stage I mods and what effect they might have on the EFI system and the need to tune it properly.

I bought a 2006 Fatboy that has a Big Sucker air cleaner and python pipes. Love the sound and the bike definitely has some power, although since I haven't ridden for a number of years I don't have a lot to compare it to.

Based upon what I have read in these forums it does seem that the tune may not be as good as it could be. I get a lot of pop on decel and every once in a while some slight backfire.

I don't think I know any where near enough to start messing with tuning so I'm thinking I might want to find a good dyno shop and let them have at it.

Which brings me to the point. I have read several posts and my own experience in general suggests that not all dyno shops are created equal. So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest some things to look for or questions to ask to determine if the dyno shop is not going to waste my money.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Contact Black Hills,(Ken) in Rockaway NJ.
973-983-0200.
He'll take good care of you.:thumbsup
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts