Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Shreveport, Louisiana HD dealership had its 10th anniversary get together today and offered a dyno shootout. So I decided what the hell. When I signed up they refused to put me in class 1 which was 74cc to 88cc. Instead they put me in class 3 which was 103cc to 110cc. Now for the best part. Not only did I win my class, but got high HP of the day except for that Hayabusa @ 190HP on motor and 242HP on NOS. But my numbers were discouraging just the same. The temperature was 99 degrees with 33% humidity. Ran @ 102.59HP and 68.19 ft lbs torque. Now my DX is bone stock. The only thing I have done is drill out the baffles. Are these #'s consistent with what others have seen????

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I went to 1130cc.com to see if I could find any additional perspective for you and see you were able to get some there.

Congrats on winning your class!

You know, dyno runs almost always disappoint the bike owner. Seems most are always hoping for, if not expecting more. Perhaps in absolute #'s you were looking for more, but in relative terms, your DX still outperforms most two wheeled cruisers on the road today. I would be more than content with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not at all disappointed with the bike or its performance. I guess I just wanted to see some bigger #'s for my ego.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine dynoed at 118hp and 81lb. ft. Spent almost 3 hours on a dyno getting it there though.

·
Registered
39,516 Posts
Mine dynoed at 118hp and 81lb. ft. Spent almost 3 hours on a dyno getting it there though.
Who is a good dyno tuner around here? I still need to get my bike dialed in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Walt at Blue Springs Harley did mine. he races Buell's and is a bad ass tuner.

·
Registered
39,516 Posts
I had my motor done in Hays KS, but that is a little far to go to get it re-dynoed...

I havent found any particular dealer around here competent enough to earn my loyalty. Last time I had any work done here was a Progressive Suspension lowering kit install on the front forks, and it wasnt done right, so I had to do it over.

I tried to contact Mike Wilson at Dynamic Chassis on Friday to dyno my bike, but he has yet to return my calls or emails. So I think I will give Walt a call and see what his schedule is like.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Walt did a great job on mine, and Ray's bike as well. Ray(vrodcustoms on 1130cc) just did a 1450 stroker in his V-rod and walt tuned it after it was done. it put out somewhere around 160+ HP.

·
Registered
39,516 Posts
Cool, I gave Walt a call and got some dyno time set up for Monday 5/21.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I signed up they refused to put me in class 1 which was 74cc to 88cc. Instead they put me in class 3 which was 103cc to 110cc.
I know it's just semantics, and they still put you in the wrong class, but I think you meant 74 ci to 88 ci and 103 ci to 110 ci. 1130 cubic centimers =~70 cubic inches, btw.

·
Registered
39,516 Posts
Yeah I don't understand all the emphasis on horsepower on these shootouts. To level the playing field, they should go by torque ratings. Why? Cause not everyone builds their motors to make all their torque at the top end. After all, all horsepower = torque x RPM / 5250 (thats why when you look at a dyno chart, the horsepower and torque curves always cross at 5250 RPM). So say you build a motor that makes 100 ftlb tq at 6k rpm that equals 114 hp. Compare that to a guy that has a bagger and wants to build a motor suited for that, with a peak torque in the 3k rpm range and lets say he has a peak torque of 110 ft lbs.... that gives him 63 Hp at that point.

If it was done this way, the results wouldnt depend on who picked a cam that put the torque peak the closest to redline, and V-Rods would be competing against 1200 Sportsters, GSXRs and anything else with a similar displacement just like it should be, and I feel it would be a fair competition and not simply awarding the trophy to who builds their torque at the highest RPM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took nasty to the dyno but they said the lowest the numbers would go is 25ft-lbs it wasn't registering:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :ride :ride

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Yeah I don't understand all the emphasis on horsepower on these shootouts. To level the playing field, they should go by torque ratings. Why? Cause not everyone builds their motors to make all their torque at the top end. After all, all horsepower = torque x RPM / 5250 (thats why when you look at a dyno chart, the horsepower and torque curves always cross at 5250 RPM). So say you build a motor that makes 100 ftlb tq at 6k rpm that equals 114 hp. Compare that to a guy that has a bagger and wants to build a motor suited for that, with a peak torque in the 3k rpm range and lets say he has a peak torque of 110 ft lbs.... that gives him 63 Hp at that point.

If it was done this way, the results wouldnt depend on who picked a cam that put the torque peak the closest to redline, and V-Rods would be competing against 1200 Sportsters, GSXRs and anything else with a similar displacement just like it should be, and I feel it would be a fair competition and not simply awarding the trophy to who builds their torque at the highest RPM.
Good point. How did your Dyno turn out?

·
Registered
39,516 Posts
Well, I took it to Blue Springs HD, and they had problems hooking their computer up to my SERT, and when I asked them about tuning my exhaust, they looked at me like I grew a 3rd arm out of my chest....

I used to have a good size dip @ ~3k rpm fairly common with certain engine combinations and Thunderheaders, and it probably could have been tuned out if I had a EFI bike, probably not the ideal way to solve the issue I had... rather masking the symptoms. But I have a carbed bike, no masking those kind of symptoms on my bike...

BS HD was trying to tell me that I didn't want to put a restrictor plate in the exhaust to tune out the midrange dip, cause I would loose top end HP.

So I finally found someone (John Golden @ http://www.rollingthunderdyno.com/)that knew how to tune exhausts and had him tune my bike...

Got the majority of the 3k rpm dip out, and ended up with 112 torque @ ~4k rpm, and 111 HP @ ~5k rpm, used to be 103 torque/107 HP prior to him tuning it if I recall correctly (I'd have to dig up my old dyno sheets to confirm). Also gained about 15 torque/10 HP @ 3k rpm where the dip used to reside, and got rid of the nasty popping I used to have on decel. Took him about 15 - 20 mins to get it where it is now.

Another dyno tuner that knows about tuning exhausts I can recommend Matt Hanson at M&M Choppers in Galva Kansas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts