Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HEAR ALOT ABOUT ULTRAS.AND NOT MUCH ABOUT E-G CLASSICS,JUST WONDERING WHY THE E-G CLASSICS DON'T SEEM TO BE AS POPULAR IN THE U.S. THE DIFFERENCES ARE MINIMAL AND THE $$$ MARGINAL.+ IT'S ALOT EASIER AND CHEAPER TO DO THE Q-DETACH THING.IF SOMEONE CAN ENLIGHTEN ME IT WOULD BE GREAT.MAYBE SOME PROS & :confused:CONS

·
Registered
623 Posts
I like it already done for me....

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
I think you get more bike with the Ultra than the EG. Like you said, the price difference are pretty minimal and with the ultra, you get more optional stuff. If you install the quick detach King Tour Pac, you can take that and the lower fairings off for a cleaner look. Then throw them back on when you travel or for colder weather. Plus you get a better sound system. All in all, I think a better value.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Thought

In a cost comparison it is cheaper to dress down than to dress up.

I figured I could save the additional funds and just take off tour pack or what ever else I wanted to run around town but have everything when on a trip.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
Mine started as an E-Glide standard, but I bought it used and it already had the trunk and a lot of bling.

If I had the money for a new one, I would pay the little extra for the Ultra for the rear speakers, and lowers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
EG vs. Ultra

I have friends that would ONLY own an Ultra. Mainly because it is HD top of the line. That's not a very good reason in my opinion. I did not like the fact that the trunk (Tour Pak) is permanently mounted. Also I don't listen to the radio when I ride. I like the sound of the motor better. So, I decided to go with the EG Standard. I installed the extras I wanted and did not have to pay for the things I did not need. I still came out WAY ahead moneywise. True, the Standard only comes in black and there is not much chrome, but all in all I still feel it is a better value. Remember, it's the same bike. Only the Ultra has more do dads. If you like the ultra and the extras you don't have to install later, go for it. If you only want the big bike and only the extras you need, then think about the Standard. The Classic resides somewhere in the middle. Check out the options and the details. Remember they will all cost you extra. If money is no concern (ha), get the ultra. I have a Standard that I have personalized. I'll put it up against an ultra anyday.
Check it out in my photo's...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not a Classic

It's not a Classic Doggie, it is a plain Jane EG Standard. Although the bottom of the line Electraglyde, It looks every bit as much as a showstopper as any Ultra. IMHO.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MARVY ! i own a eg classic and was just wondering how come we don't hear about them as much,in ottawa the price difference was considerable,only diferences i saw was:intercom-think about it;)rear speakers pain in the ass for quick-d,wifes butt covers anyway,:stir cb radio-don't need it,lowers not sure if i needed them,my buddy takes his off all the time,so these added up to almost 4 g's more !!so a classic it was love it,love it even more solo w/wife at home:thumb

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
BY THE WAY HER SHE IS THE DAY I GOT'R ,JUST SOME NEEDED ACCESSORIES NOW:thumb

·
Registered
317 Posts
If I needed the extra stuff that comes with an Ultra, I'd buy one. But since my wife has her own bike, I have no need for an intercom; I don't want a CB on my bike, rear speakers aren't that big of a deal, I'm not a big fan of lowers to begin with, and I don't care if the tour pak has lights on it or not. I'd buy a Classic and take the money I saved by not buying an Ultra and make the tour pak detachable. Later on, if I decide I want lowers (and it's gotta get REALLY cold for that!) I'd buy some and put them on.

Other than that, I'd buy a Classic. But that's just me.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10-4 ME TOO:nod MARVIN THAT STD.E-G LOOKS GRRR8 !!

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's exactly what I'm talkin' bout...
I didn't want all the extras that came with an ultra. I've had bikes with all the built in sound. The only time I used it was when I was working on the bike in my shop. When I ride I want to hear two things, 1, the wind and 2, the sound of my motor. If all you want to do is ride along and listen to music, why not just ride in a car.

I considered a Classic, but at the time I understand the trunk, Oops, TOUR PACK, was bolted on. I wanted a black bike anyway, so I opted for the EG Standard. I still say it's the best bike for the money.

I installed the detachable stuff, bought a King Tour Pack along with some other goodies I wanted and I didn't have to pay for anything I didn't want. I'm sure you could do the same thing with the Classic.

I think it all boils down to the fact that some people just HAVE to have the top of the line no matter what. Now I'm not criticizing them, If that's what they want and are willing to pay for it, good for them. I got exactly what I wanted and I hope they did also. I just got mine for a WHOLE lot less money.

By the way, that would be ME grinnin' all the way to the bank on the same motorcycle but personalized just they way I want. After all, ain't that why we bought Harleys anyway?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I gotta go with Marvin on this one.... I'm more Utilitarian over Blingatarian. Every car I ever bought new, had just enough options that I WANTED, and nothing I didn't, because I knew I was going to do my own stuff later. Why pay out the nose from the Moco for their stuff?

EG over UC...... ? Can't see it. Marvin's bike is exactly how I like it: Spokes and black. Everything else is just icing on the yummy cake.....I don't need a bunch of things I can put on myself, for half the cost if not more, then HD would do it, and possibly better quality.

Intercom? On my bike, I want to hear the engine, not my wife...... I love her to death, but.....

My 2 cents.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Intercom? On my bike, I want to hear the engine, not my wife...... I love her to death, but.....

My 2 cents.
SPREAD THE WORD ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!

Rev. Dave has SPOKEN!!!

I ride my bike just so I won't hear the ol.......... :D

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
SPREAD THE WORD ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!

Rev. Dave has SPOKEN!!!

I ride my bike just so I won't hear the ol.......... :D
Gotcha.................:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts