Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
37 Posts
I have tried numerous different types and prefer either the orange tapered foam plugs or the yellow foam cylindrical ones already posted about best. Not long ago bought a container of the orange ones from MidwayUSA shooting supply place. They label the orange ones as "disposable" but I use them over and over. Kinda tricky to get them in where I want them. I roll them between thumb and forefinger then insert and keep them pushed in for about 20 seconds so they plump back out. All the way in is too much noise reduction for me as I can't hear my music so after I get them in and plumped back out with the bike idling and my music playing I gently pull them back out just a little bit at a time till I can hear my music turned up loud but the exhaust noise is still reasonably reduced.

Oh, yeah, couple of times I have pushed the damn things in so far I couldn't get them back out with my fingers! Now carry tweezers in a glove box. :laughing
lol couple of times I pushed them in to far.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,658 Posts
Twenty some years and on a hardtail and straight pipes and Marshall half stack, I hear nothing, feel nothing :grin

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I have tried numerous different types and prefer either the orange tapered foam plugs or the yellow foam cylindrical ones already posted about best. Not long ago bought a container of the orange ones from MidwayUSA shooting supply place. They label the orange ones as "disposable" but I use them over and over. Kinda tricky to get them in where I want them. I roll them between thumb and forefinger then insert and keep them pushed in for about 20 seconds so they plump back out. All the way in is too much noise reduction for me as I can't hear my music so after I get them in and plumped back out with the bike idling and my music playing I gently pull them back out just a little bit at a time till I can hear my music turned up loud but the exhaust noise is still reasonably reduced.

Oh, yeah, couple of times I have pushed the damn things in so far I couldn't get them back out with my fingers! Now carry tweezers in a glove box. :laughing
I use the orange tapered ones too. The trick to getting them in easy is to roll them then pull up and back on your earlobe then insert the plug. Hold a few seconds to allow it to expand.

I used 'em for riding or shooting if I don't have the ear muffs.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I got some of those Mack's silicone one's you roll into a ball and place over the ear canal and spread out. I used them today and they work well. 22db rating which is not as much as most foam type. I can hear the radio through my headset and traffic when it's close. On the way home today I didn't put them in and for the first time realized how much wind noise there is. I don't have the ringing in my ears after the ride either. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

·
Planning to Buy
8 Posts
i usually just turn off my hearing aids and leave em in. the most effective i have ever used are 45cal rounds. i keep them in my tour pac. oh yea and 9mm for the ladies.
Damn! You are a real badass. I came to look for earplugs my self and read this thread. Might try this one though.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I've been using Mack's silicone ear plugs. Get plastic case of them at Walmart for less than $7.00 They last quite a while and work well for riding. A 22dbl reduction which is about right for being on the road.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts