Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ear plugs..........?

Hey guys
I have a question ........why wear ear plugs? If your bike is too loud for you then how obnoxious is it to others? I am a long time rider but only on my 3rd Harley and just curious? It just seems odd to take a quiet bike, make it loud [to sound good] and then plug your ears because it is too loud...? Why not just make it louder than stock but not to the point where you can't stand to hear it as you ride?
Colt.45

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey guys
I have a question ........why wear ear plugs? If your bike is too loud for you then how obnoxious is it to others? I am a long time rider but only on my 3rd Harley and just curious? It just seems odd to take a quiet bike, make it loud [to sound good] and then plug your ears because it is too loud...? Why not just make it louder than stock but not to the point where you can't stand to hear it as you ride?
Colt.45
My wearing them has absolutely nothing to do with exhaust noise.
My RKC has bone stock exhaust.
Mine is to cut down wind noise.
I have tinnitus (ringing in my ears)
Wind noise makes it worse.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
BigDoo
I can understand their use for that. I have noticed the wind quite a bit as well when wearing a beanie.I often wear a 3/4 though and am not bothered by it then.
Colt.45

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
An article in the HOG magazine a while back said the #1 reason for hearing damage on a motorcycle is wind noise. Noise also causes fatigue and I can attest to that.

Reactions: BigDoo and 1/2 Ton

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
If I had worn ear plugs when I first started riding, I wouldn't have to wear these damn hearing aids and probably wouldn't have tinnitus right now. It's a bitch not being able to understand my grand children.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If I had worn ear plugs when I first started riding, I wouldn't have to wear these damn hearing aids and probably wouldn't have tinnitus right now. It's a bitch not being able to understand my grand children.
Is yours from the wind as well?
Colt.45

·
Proud Infidel
2,773 Posts

Colt.45
Mine's a combination of abuse. Loud music, industrial work atmosphere, and wind noise.

The wind noise isn't just from scooters. I always had the windows down on my truck when it isn't too hot.

Sent from here to there.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Colt.45
Yeah. The wind noise and a couple of loud noises that added to the tinnitus.

Even now I can tell the difference when I forget to wear muffs or plugs when mowing the lawn, running a power saw, listening to an outdoor concert or any number of other activities. Tinnitus is louder, hearing loss is worse.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Yeah. The wind noise and a couple of loud noises that added to the tinnitus.

Even now I can tell the difference when I forget to wear muffs or plugs when mowing the lawn, running a power saw, listening to an outdoor concert or any number of other activities. Tinnitus is louder, hearing loss is worse.
DITTO

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was wearing the "foamies" at work, so I'd bring them home for when I needed to mow the grass, run a saw, etc.

I started getting ear infections while at work, so I looked into a non-disposable earplug that could be cleaned.

I ended up going with Amazon.com: Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs for Concerts Musicians Motorcycles Noise Sensitivity Conditions and More (Ear Plugs Come in Premium Gift Box Packaging) - Blue: Health & Personal Care. At first, it was because of the name, then as I got to reading I saw that they included the baffle to have a normal conversation, but they still filter out the loud noise.

To each their own about their choice of a helmet (or lack of one). I choose to wear a full face year-round. I very little wind noise (compared to other styles of helmet) and I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud; the short of it is that I don't wear earplugs while riding.

Exco

·
Senior Flatulant
1,095 Posts
I was wearing the "foamies" at work, so I'd bring them home for when I needed to mow the grass, run a saw, etc.

I started getting ear infections while at work, so I looked into a non-disposable earplug that could be cleaned.

I ended up going with Amazon.com: Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs for Concerts Musicians Motorcycles Noise Sensitivity Conditions and More (Ear Plugs Come in Premium Gift Box Packaging) - Blue: Health & Personal Care. At first, it was because of the name, then as I got to reading I saw that they included the baffle to have a normal conversation, but they still filter out the loud noise.

To each their own about their choice of a helmet (or lack of one). I choose to wear a full face year-round. I very little wind noise (compared to other styles of helmet) and I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud; the short of it is that I don't wear earplugs while riding.

Exco
Yep,

Rollin' "foamies" with dirty hands can create problems. As can re-using your 'disposable' earplugs.

Most of the corded ones I have used at least have a stub where the cord goes into the plug making their insertion a bit easier.

Moulded earplugs with the 'flanges' on them collect all kinds of junk from your ear canals and is a breeding ground for bacteria IF you are not meticulous with cleaning them. (I've been using Lee Sonic's (or similar) since the early 60's.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=lee+sonic+ear+valves&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS842US842&oq=lee+sonics&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.8840j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cheers,
Smoketown

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rode today with my EarPeace M ear plug/filters.
They come with 3 different levels of filters.
I used the pre installed filters. (mid level)
They were perfect!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts