Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, do we generally support this recommendation?

My challenge is riding pant melted onto the pipes. Nothing else seems to have worked.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I clean my chrome spoked wheels,but haven't used it to get plastic off the pipes,I just get it hot and use cardboard and rags to get it off,then let it cool down and wax.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I clean my chrome spoked wheels,but haven't used it to get plastic off the pipes,I just get it hot and use cardboard and rags to get it off,then let it cool down and wax.
I've tried all sorts of cleaners and sponges, rags, newspaper, and cardboard all to no avail. So many told me to try Never Dull. That didn't work either.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
So, do we generally support this recommendation?

My challenge is riding pant melted onto the pipes. Nothing else seems to have worked.

It has worked for me. After a ride let the bike cool a bit, maybe 7-8 minutes. Spray the Easy Off on the affected area. Important... wipe away any overspray getting on other parts of the bike. Let the bike cool. With a good spray/cleaner polish and a rag, clean the Easy Off area vigorously.

Here's another tip. Finger nail polish remover. It works... by itself, or together with Easy Off when the bike is cool.

Many years with my children riding with me and their shoes/boots touching the pipes :eek:.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Acetone... yikes! Be sure the bike is COMPLETELY cool before applying to the exhaust. And keep it far, far away from any painted surfaces.

I've heard about oven cleaner, but never tried it. Makes sense that it would work tho.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
KBO... You see, the intent is to cause some kind of intense flammable combustion so either 1). The melted marks on the pipes are flamed off, or 2). The burn marks on the rest of the bike... seat, suspension, frame, chrome bits, etc. help the marks on the pipe blend in.

:)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KBO... You see, the intent is to cause some kind of intense flammable combustion so either 1). The melted marks on the pipes are flamed off, or 2). The burn marks on the rest of the bike... seat, suspension, frame, chrome bits, etc. help the marks on the pipe blend in.

:)
It is just this sort of advice that keeps me coming back to this place.
:rofl::eek::rofl:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
I say forget about the marks, they'll eventually cook off.
In fact you'll be lucky if you don't get another similar mark before this one is completely cooked off.

If I was going to fight with the stain, I'd get a cotton fiber wheel and drill to spin it,
and use Simichrome on the stain every time I stopped the bike while it was hot.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:OMG I love this place!!!!!!!

But if my keyboard dies from the 4 times I've snarked coffee on it today you owe me a new one!

·
COB
1,984 Posts
If you ABSOLUTELY have to get it off find someone who can bead blast it using walnut shells. That is how they clean jet engine turbine blades. Works quite well on chromed items.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While I find the walnut shell method extremely intriguing where I live it might be next to impossible to find someone competent to do it.
The marks on the pipes simply annoy me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts