Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Low Rider but I'm thinking of putting an easy pull clutch kit on it. The clutch is at my full hand extension and if I need to hold it for any length of time it wears my hand out. Anyone have this on their bike? Does it make a significant difference in the strength needed to hold the clutch in? Does it change the friction zone? Can you tell I'm new?Y:eek:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Nothing but rave reviews on the "easy pull" clutch from others.They now put them on the V-ROD as factory equipment. I dont have one yet. I figured I would wait at this point until it wears out.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I've got it on the '99 - does make a significant difference, especially if you have the heavy-duty spring kit. To a lesser degree, keeping your clutch cable adjusted/lubricated helps, too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good info!

Cool! Thanks, I'm definately looking into it. Compared to my Suzuki, the clutch on my lowrider is STIFF! If I leave it as it is, I'll end up looking like Popeye only it will just be my left arm!:p It's the only thing that I can complain about though.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Lubrication

You definitely want to remove the clutch cable from the lever and tie it up tall and fairly straight. Take a small plastic bag and wrap it in a funnel shape near the end at the top, tie it with an elastic band, and fill up with oil (I use fork oil, or atf) and leave it for a while, couple three hours. Let the oil run all the way down the cable.
Also grease all the pivots and attachments to the lever.

This will make a big difference on a 8 year old bike!!!

Hope that helps. Easy pull clutches are great anyway too!!!

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
I installed the Mueller Power clutch in my 04 FLHTC, HUGE difference

My bike was an 04. I think in 06 they started installing the "ball and ramp" mod from the factory.

On a side note I sat on a 1965 panhead with a "mouse trap" spring assist clutch fulcrum. You think your clutch lever is hard to pull....I'd have Popeye arms after a few hundred miles on that rig

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
It's only a logical assumption, not necessarily a fact, that converting from a cable actuated clutch
to a hydraulic clutch would result in reduced effort.

It wouldn't lesser the effort required to overcome the spring pressure, nor the pressure required to hold the clutch lever back,
but the clutch cable sliding in a 3 ft sleeve has got to have some friction, the hydraulic clutch actuation would have none.

None of these mods would change the clutch's friction action, just how the disks are spread apart, how the spring pressure is overcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put the HD Reduced Effort Clutch Kit, PN 36808-05 on my '02 FLHRI and it is absolutely amazing. I don't understand though I'm why someone would pay $169 for a Muller when the HD kit includes the spring and is only $44.95?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts