·
Registered
12,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Irony.....cause I thought they didn't exist. Two were made of each bike. One of each were destroyed in last scene. Other two were stolen.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stolen bikes from what I have read in past. Were more than likely parted out. Some dead beat thieves are kicking themselves after movie became a huge hit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
From the web page

Four motorcycles were created for the movie, but only one is known to have survived. It was used in the climactic crash scene in which Fonda is thrown off the bike.

"Three of the motorcycles were stolen, even before the movie was released, which was a sign of the overwhelming power that these motorcycles had," said Haggerty. "They were never recovered."

After the film was finished, Hopper told Haggerty to keep it. Haggerty rode it often, an experience he likened to "going out with Marilyn Monroe." Parting with it was like having a "child finally getting married and moving away and starting a new life on their own."

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Irony.....cause I thought they didn't exist. Two were made of each bike. One of each were destroyed in last scene. Other two were stolen.

Dave remembers it the way I always have.

I seem to remember a show or magazine article back in the 80's that had Fonda "commision" a build of 1 each of "Capt. America" and "The Billy Bike", for his personal collection.

·
Registered
39,575 Posts
Whether it was 1 bike or 2 bikes that were destroyed in the last scene, and the rest stolen, how can there be any legitimate bikes from the movie left? :loco

Think someone is trying to do a money grab.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
May be there was enough left to rebuild it, with enough money ?:dunno

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
My understanding is that the Barber Motorsports museum owns the most accurate replica. There are no originals left.

·
Registered
39,575 Posts
Here's a link to a story on the warehouse fire that contained the Capt America bike with a photo of the bike in question.

Fire destroys “Easy Rider” motorcycle - Collective Vision | Photoblog for the Austin American-Statesman

Note the first comment:

That said, a comparison of your man’s chop and the original (still photos of the movie bike are readily available on-line) will show small but crucial discrepancies between the two. I showed your photo to friends, and they immediately noticed that the tank was too small, the stars too big, the handlebar risers the wrong style, and the throttle a later-model two-cable system rather than the single-cable in use on the original. It seems that someone did their best to replicate the original, but had to make do with what was available.
Article from Hemmings that says the warehouse owner was the one who had the surviving Capt America Bike:
One of the two authenticated Captain Americas gets toasty | Hemmings Daily

Ive read elsewhere that Dan Haggerty restored the Capt America bike that was burned in the last scene.... So I guess the question is: How many bikes did Dan Haggerty make and pawn off as the "Only remaining Capt America bike"?

·
Former Lurker
2,934 Posts
I thought I saw that some company was making some one -off repros about 10-15 years back... Advertising in some of the mags...
Looked pretty authentic...
Can't remember who they were...

·
Registered
177 Posts
In 1970 I did a semester abroad in Germany. We spent a week in Kufstein, a small town just over the Austrian border. We took some of the locals to the only movie theater in town to See 'EasyRider'.

We had already seen it in the states but were curious to see the locals reaction. We were a bit puzzled at the end when the entire audience started laughing as Fonda and Hopper died.

They told us afterwards that they thought it was funny because something like that could never happen in the U.S.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,331 Posts
I would want nothing to do with it simply because it was owned by a "Fonda".
Shouldn't hold Pete and Hank responsible for the treasonous acts the skank jane did.

She still defies Vets with her leftist ways. And brags about having no remorse.

I wont watch or have anything to do with anything to do with her.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Shouldn't hold Pete and Hank responsible for the treasonous acts the skank jane did.

She still defies Vets with her leftist ways. And brags about having no remorse.

I wont watch or have anything to do with anything to do with her.
Peterboy is a left leaning liberal too . Screw Hanoi Jane .

How in the hell did Henry end up having those two turn out that way is a mystery .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts