Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, New to this site. I have a 1997 Road King that intermittently the fuel pump will not turn on or turns off when I’m on a ride. I have replaced fuel pump relay that seemed to work for a while. I don’t think I’m getting signal from the ECM to to turn on fuel pump relay, not sure if I have a defective sensor, I would like to build breakout box but do not know what plug connectors to use to attach breakout box in series with ECM. Harley Davidson part number is Kent Moore HD- 41198 they are hard to find and very expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

·
Retired citizen
22,264 Posts
Sorry, no help on the connectors but if the ECM fails to see a signal from the CKP and CMP it will shut down the fuel pump. Failing CKP and CMP is a common problem especially on the older bikes.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You might also want to check the contacts in the fuse panel that the relay plugs into. I had a similar issue that turned out to be that the contacts in the fuse panel were loose, causing intermittent contact.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
22,264 Posts
Can you not just back probe the signal circuit either at the ECM or at the relay block?
No, the tests need to be done in series. That's the reason for the breakout box.
One of my service manuals show that the ECM connector is a Packard 100W.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I think Red was referring to running a continuity test on the wires. It would show an open circuit if the wire is broken.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The ECM connector plug on my 2009 FLHRC is a Delphi Micro Pack Series - 100W Header 32 pin plug Part # 12129025.

NOTE: The Delphi company is now owned by APTIV..... But i am unsure if they reference the same Delphi part numbers.....

The Delphi Global Connection Systems Catalog (page 3.24) says that the micro pack series - female terminals sealed, are Part # 12084912 for a cable range (mm2) 0.80, the material is Phosphor Bronze with a gold/nickle plating. The smaller sized female terminal is Part # 12084913 for a cable range (mm2) 0.50-0.35, the material is also Phosphor bronze with a gold/nickle plating (Check your service bulletin or manual for confirmation of your year and model for pin and connector details).

The issues I've had over many years has been the loss of throttle and limp mode occurring at very random intervals on my Road King Classic.... There are a few threads and discussions regarding the fretting and corrosion of some pins but varied thoughts with the 'replacement' type of pins and what plating they should be (i.e Gold or Silver....). I've replaced the 6 female pins on the Throttle Control Actuator, replaced the Twist grip Sensor with a new item that was connected directly to the 6 pin connector in the nacelle housing. The last area is discount/repair? is to replace some of the pins in the ECM connector - Throttle Position Sensor pins, 5V Sensor ground pins and maybe some of the other ones....

The OEM (original equipment manufacturer) crimping tool is hard to find and no doubt going to be expensive, yes there may be after market cheaper ones... However, i am in the process of identifying the correct details or part number that is used for this type of pin because they are very small and i don't want to have the crimp or wire fail due to using an incorrect torqued crimp that stuffs the cable as i'd expect that there's not much wire length in the connector plug (also noting that there's 32 other pins/wires that don't need to be stressed).

Just for info, I have 30 years of Electronics and Electrical Engineering (Military) experience and even i am wary of doing this for the first time..... so I would highly suggest that if you're unsure of what you are doing or don't have the experience with complicated multi pin connectors, have a chat with your local service center..... I hope I don't break anything....

If anyone has used a Delphi or 'quality' OEM crimping tool for these pins and is able to provide a manufacturer name and part number (or equivalent details) to me.... I'd sincerely appreciate it.

Cheers,

Aussie Ads

·
Retired citizen
22,264 Posts
Are you looking for the barrel crimper ? I know the H-D tool is expensive, aircraft quality and adjustable.
I have a less expensive, maybe $30.00, barrel crimper that's not adjustable but works just fine on the H-D pins and barrels.
Post back if you'd like me to find the MFG and p/n.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts