Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my tssm with a tsm, with help from here...all went well. Reason to begin with was my battery going dead and losing the marriage between my fobs and the tsm. Long story short....having the battery out for a day or so to charge properly, I was curious if the programming the dealer made for stage 1 kit would of been lost or is it em-bedded in the ecm through software?

·
Banned
261 Posts
Interested with the answer also. I just married my original tsm and original ecm. Was wondering the same thing about the stage I install. I have a PC III, so I'm thinking it doesn't matter if I lost the stage I install.:think

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I recently replaced my tssm with a tsm, with help from here...all went well. Reason to begin with was my battery going dead and losing the marriage between my fobs and the tsm. Long story short....having the battery out for a day or so to charge properly, I was curious if the programming the dealer made for stage 1 kit would of been lost or is it em-bedded in the ecm through software?
ECM programming is embedded. No problems due to the battery being out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks nipplesurfer, i figured as much. 2010hdultra, yes i realize it has nothing to do with tssm or tsm...it was just the opportunity to explain how and why i came to ask.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . I have a PC III, so I'm thinking it doesn't matter if I lost the stage I install.:think

It would matter.

The PC-III doesn't override the factory mapping, but rather adds (or subtracts) fuel based on the values provided by the ECM.

If you look at a Dynojet map, the values are percentages. So, when you look at the map grid and see "18" in the 20% throttle position at 3500 RPM, it means add 18 percent more fuel than the factory programming is dictating. The map would have to account for the fact that the ECM has the Stage 1 DL on it because it would then be adding the fuel based on what stage 1 is dictating.

If you notice in the Dynojet database of "stock" maps, there are many that are listed that account for Stage 1.

To the OP, as the Nippster stated, the programming on the ECM is mostly like firmware. It is flashed into the ROM of the controller and is not dependent on power to be preserved.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Modifications are stored in re-writable, non volatile memory. They will not be lost with the battery disconnected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts