Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally I park my bike under an open car port. Due to some thefts in the community lately, I've been locking my bike in a 8'x12' tin storage building. It gets super hot in there. I've been opening the doors in the day time. Can anyone think of any negative effects of the heat on my bike? Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
71 Posts
It will get hotter in that building than you may think .

Effects of heat on rubber goods : shortens life of products.

Heat will cause your seat cover to age at an extreme rate, it'll crack before it's time .

Heat can and will over time cause the ABS goods to crack ( inner fairings for one )

Heat will "boil out" the lighter components in the fuel .

If you could vent the building up high, it would help . :)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
heat will not be good but direct sun light can be worse how many day you going to do that and how about some kind of lock or anchor in car port
or buy a cover that's got Honda on it

how hot is it there ??heat index here last few days 108

·
luv the low country
20,328 Posts
I'd try to vent it out with a fan some how, Billy Mac. In this heat we're having I'd bet its as hot in there, if not hotter than a car with its windows up, probably 140*+. That would prematurely dry out anything rubber or plastic on the King, ie motor mounts, switches, ect. I've been leaving the garage door open about a foot and the back door open to keep it vented, cause it get very hot in there, especially after coming home with the car or bike and their motors add to the heat.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Agree with all the above. I put a bike in a rented storage shed with a turbine roof vent once and in a couple of months the damage was remarkable. Rubber hoses and a number of rubber/plastic parts cracked and yep, so did the seat. I would not recommend doing this. Are you sure you can't secure your bike in the carport? There are lots of security things you can do. Wow, best of luck on this one.

2013 FLHRC

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Do you own the building? If so insulate it vent it at the top as stated previously put a ridge vent on it paint it a light color. Find a way to get air moving in and out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts