Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my search for the perfect fuel mngt product, I have spent a lot of money and time and also seemed to come up short. Then one day I discovered the best little secret out there. Not only did it make my Bike run the way I fantasized it would the first time I saw it in the showroom, but it was incredibly inexpensive.

The average rider like myself buys a Bike and wants to change the air kit and exhaust. Then the hard part comes in. Some dealers will say you don't need any changes to your ECU, others will go as far as recommending the race tuner and having the Bike dyno tuned. The later costing upwards of $1,000.

The stock Delphi system is a good system. It's only downside is that EPA mandated lean standards that ended up with the MoCo setting the closed loop portion of the map at 14.7 AFR (Air fuel ratio). Which we have found out is too lean as seen by all the people complaining about the heat. Unfortunately we spend the majority of our driving in closed loop which is from idle to 50% throttle, up to 4700 rpm's. When we do twist the throttle all the way the bike goes into open loop. The AFR in open loop measured by the exhaust is between 12.8 and 13.1. So as you can see the system is quite capable of handling a better air kit or exhaust once you have richened up the closed loop portion.

Nightrider who has a background in electronics recognized the problem, his mission was to make the closed loop portion of your riding experience richer. I'm happy to report that he has achieved his goal. He first came out with the IED. A simple device that plugs in between the O2 sensors and the ECU. It has voltage dividers that alter the electronic signal coming from the O2 sensor and fools the ECU. So when the ECU thinks it's running at 14.7, in fact it's really running at 13.8 AFR. A much richer mixture. The results are quicker throttle response, better acceleration, and most importantly a cooler running motor. All this for only $109. Sounds to good to be true.

I'm not affiliated with Nightrider, nor do I make one cent commission for any units sold. I am just an owner of an 07 HD who was tired of the heat, and sick of dealers trying to rip me off with all kinds of devices that just sucked my wallet dry.

My only goal is to share my secret so that others can enjoy their Bike as much as I do now. I don't think it is appropriate for me to put up a link to another forum where I started a thread about fiel testing the XIED. The thread is still running, now in it's 27th page. All members of that forum who tried the XIED or IED have reported back 100% positive.

The main sentiment of all is "The best bang for the Buck".

Typical comments after running with the XIED or IED were smoother running engine, better throttle response, quicker acceleration, and most importantly a cooler running motor.

I myself saw my engine drop from 350 degrees to 250 degrees. Measured by an infrared thermometer on the cylinder head. Results like this were not uncommon.

So if you a typical owner with just exhaust, or exhaust and an air kit don't waste your money on these expensive Fuel mngt units, and or dyno tunes. Or these auto tune units for hundreds of dollars.

$109 from Nightrider for XIED's and you will not believe the difference.

Best Bang For The Buck.

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Sweet!

Welcome to the forum by the way. If I had O2 sensors on my 07 I would consider that for sure. Pretty much doing what my
PCIII does for 1/3 th cost. Did you know this is Max's forum too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best Little Secret

Thanks for the welcome, I guess I should have introduced myself first. I've been riding for the last 38 years and am older than dirt...lol.
I have another MC forum that I have been running for the last nine years, except it is for Metrics (Road Stars). My first HD's were back in the AMF years. I finally bought another one in 06, an 07 Wide Glide. All I can say is wow, what a difference and nicely improved over the years. Now I ride an 07 Street Glide. After finding the XIED, I am in love with the Bike.
No, I didn't know this is Max's also. I'm still learning all the different HD forums out there.
You have a nice format up here. I hope my posting is OK by your rules.

Thanks,

Dave

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
I'm a big fan of computerized fuel precision and economy.

I also don't have a model as sophisticated as this mod addresses, I wish I did.
If I did, I might just have to have this setup, but if I did, I'd also want an "on/off" or "in the circuit/out of the circuit" function.
I'd probably want the extra richness in cruise mode around town, but not on a long trip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best Kept Secret

Nathang, it's your Lucky day.

Nightrider just came out with the Variable IED or the VIED. It has an adjustment built into it that allows you to adjust the AFR ranging from as lean as 14.4 to as rich as 13.6.

So you have the best of both worlds. Now you can run your Bike a little leaner for cruising on those longs trips.

It sells for $129 (Internet price).

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello all. I've just found this site and send grettings from the south shore of Boston. I'd also like to vouch for Cruiser's claim about the Nightrider IED's. I recently installed them on my new EGC. It runs smoother, idles better, has better throttle response, and runs cooler. My scoot is completely stock and only a few weeks old. This is my first HD and though different from any of my previous metric, clearly runs better with the IEDs. Short money for a big fix.
Joe

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
A simple device that plugs in between the O2 sensors and the ECU. It has voltage dividers that alter the electronic signal coming from the O2 sensor and fools the ECU. So when the ECU thinks it's running at 14.7, in fact it's really running at 13.8 AFR. A much richer mixture. The results are quicker throttle response, better acceleration, and most importantly a cooler running motor. All this for only $109. Sounds to good to be true.
Yabbutt-
Since neither of my 05 bikes has got an O2 sensor, it doesn't seem at all likley that my systems are quite smart enough to be tricked into working better yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best kept secret

Sorry about that Custom Bike Mike. It's an improvement that works with the O2 sensors on the 07 & 08 Bikes. The 06's were built a little different and required some homework for Nightrider to come up with a viable solution that will work with them. You got to give the Man credit. Some people simply would have categorized the XIED's for the 07 &08 and left it at that. Not Steve, he loves a challenge.

I took my street Glide out in summer temps today where here it was 94 degrees today. With the XIED's on the engine still ran cool. I took several readings throughout the day using an infrared thermometer on the cylinder head. It looked like this, first stop 285 rear, and 265 front. Second stop 270 rear and 252 front, and the final stop at home was 310 rear and 305 front. The last stop is always the hottest. That's cause I have a long street to my house that's 30 mph, with stop signs and traffic lights. Not fast enough or traveling long enough to get enough wind through the cooling fins. Overall I was still impressed.

The Bike runs awesome with the XIED's on it. I really love riding my Bike now, it's a real Joy.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
I also don't have a model as sophisticated as this mod addresses, I wish I did.
I was never confused.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Sorry about that Custom Bike Mike. It's an improvement that works with the O2 sensors on the 07 & 08 Bikes. The 06's were built a little different and required some........
I was just having fun with you. I have a Race Tuner on mine, I just hook my laptop up and set it how I want. But if a guy didn't have one this seems like an interesting way to go at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best Kept Secret

If you have a Race Tuner then you partially understand what Steve is doing. If you go into your closed loop Bias table and set your value for 798mv, you'll get an AFR of 14.1. This is basically what Steve is doing using voltage dividers. How he surpassed 14.1 to get 13.8 with his new XIED's is a bit of a mystery, but he did it. The obvious advantage is instead of paying close to $500 for a Race Tuner, you can have the same affect by spending only $109 to buy the XIED.

Best Bang For the Buck$$$...XIED by Nightrider.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I'm betting one could fool the air temperature sensor in a similar manner.....
You guys come up with these great ideas after I layed down 300 bannanas for a PCIII. If you knew what you were doing it should cost about 35 cents to accomplish too. I always run into the same problem, I dont know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Best Kept Secret

Daniii, it's already been done. Another rider left his AIT installed to seal the hole, then he bought a new ait sensor which he mounted inside the airbox. He was able to connect the original wire without having to lengthen it. The result was a drop in AFR of about another .3.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I was thinking of a potentiometer. Dial-a-blend. Hmmmmmm
I was thinking the same thing but it would be a bitch to balance the front and rear cyls.

·
Padawan Learner
9 Posts
So this will not work on a 05 FLHTI. Seems like this tuner is only for the most western part of the US that use the O2 Sensors.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts