Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my 01 Screaming Eagle Road Glide. Both after just starting and after warming up, the idle drops down below normal and eventually the engine dies out after about 10-20 seconds. I was thinking it might be a leak in the intake, but I sprayed WD-40 and carb cleaner around the intake and didn't see any change in RPM. My guess now is the TPS or the ISC. The bike has around 22k on it. Any thoughts?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Dave. No codes...the check engine light should be on if there were any codes, right?

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
If the idle speed on EFI models falls below preset values, you should check for low fuel pressure.
Low fuel pressure could be caused by a hole in fuel hose inside the tank. If fuel pressure is low, it
may require removal and inspection of fuel feed hose from pump to filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't that have an effect overall, though? Throttle response seems to be normal.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Then you should perform a thorough wiggle test on ETS circuit.
Connections have been found to be the problem in most instances. If no problems are found with wiring or connections, then a new
sensor may be necessary.
Most of the time this condition will not register a trouble code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help Hawkmann. Checked all the connections...everything seemed to be on good. While running the engine with the air filter off, a flame shot out of the intake. Obviously this isn't good, but could this have anything to do with the idle problem?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Thanks for the help Hawkmann. Checked all the connections...everything seemed to be on good. While running the engine with the air filter off, a flame shot out of the intake. Obviously this isn't good, but could this have anything to do with the idle problem?
It's normal, because you created a lean running condition with the Air filter off........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts