Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good morning! I ordered & received a noid light kit, compression test kit & a fuel pressure checking kit.

It appears that I will need to acquire another fuel pressure kit, or add the correct check valve fitting, for this to work for fuel pressure testing. Any leads on where this fitting can be sourced?

I performed an initial cold compression test on each cylinder, which yielded 130 PSI from each. Somewhat low based on my research, but the inactive front cylinder measured the same as the rear. Of course, plugs were pulled from each & throttle held open on a breather- less intake. I also pulled the fuel pump fuse. I will try another test today.

What is the procedure for the noid light test on the front injector? The plug has remained dry on previous run cycles... perhaps implying that the front injector has failed in some manner.

Thanks for layman-level responses!

·
Retired citizen
23,661 Posts
Good morning! I ordered & received a noid light kit, compression test kit & a fuel pressure checking kit.

It appears that I will need to acquire another fuel pressure kit, or add the correct check valve fitting, for this to work for fuel pressure testing. Any leads on where this fitting can be sourced?

I performed an initial cold compression test on each cylinder, which yielded 130 PSI from each. Somewhat low based on my research, but the inactive front cylinder measured the same as the rear. Of course, plugs were pulled from each & throttle held open on a breather- less intake. I also pulled the fuel pump fuse. I will try another test today.

What is the procedure for the noid light test on the front injector? The plug has remained dry on previous run cycles... perhaps implying that the front injector has failed in some manner.

Thanks for layman-level responses!
(Try Jim's Tools for that adapter.
(Unplug the injector harness connector, locate the noid light that fits the harness connector, all other components connected, turn the ignition on and crank the engine. Check the instructions that came with the kit for the noid for what the noid will do. My noid flashes green if the injector signal is present.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Noid light test was positive for both injectors. Same pulsing flash on each while cranking. I’ve removed the injectors for cleaning.

However, when I performed a fuel pressure test off the check valve the reading was 44 PSI. Believe it should be in the 58-60 range. Would this be insufficient enough to cause the one injector to fail?

I have another new fuel pump. Guess I’ll have to address the change out...another dive into the tank : (

·
Retired citizen
23,661 Posts
Noid light test was positive for both injectors. Same pulsing flash on each while cranking. I’ve removed the injectors for cleaning.

However, when I performed a fuel pressure test off the check valve the reading was 44 PSI. Believe it should be in the 58-60 range. Would this be insufficient enough to cause the one injector to fail?

I have another new fuel pump. Guess I’ll have to address the change out...another dive into the tank : (
By all means. Time for a different pump or pressure regulator.
Did you locate the pressure test adapter ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Actually, I used the check valve portion of the EFI hose I replaced & affixed it to the pressure gauge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update: Pulled the injectors and had them tested and cleaned yesterday (ultrasonically). Dove into the tank again and replaced the new fuel pump with the newer pump. Put it all back together and she busted off... BOTH cylinders! Ran her in the garage for a couple of minutes, then cycled the start process a few times with immediate start each time. I'm gonna have someone retest the fuel pressure as my gauge will only reach the low 40's on this bike. My indie tested the gauge on one of his bikes and it hit 60 immediately. Still a dilemma regarding that, but sure nice to hear her sound like she's supposed to sound.

I appreciate all the responses in this thread! I'm sure I'll have more questions... and I know you forum folks will chip in if you can assist. Thanks, again!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts